These happened Monday night for dinner!
I’d been craving some Mexican food and since Highlands Ranch is lacking in good Mexican restaurants my options are to drive to Denver for good choices or make my own, I went with the later.
I originally just planned to make fajitas, but then I got to thinking about the last time I had a tostada. I couldn’t even remember the last time that was, and so chicken fajitas turned into Chicken Fajita Tostadas. They were delicious!
I loved the crispiness of the corn tortilla, the layer of refried beans, and the flavorful fajita spices on the chicken and bell peppers. To make these Chicken Fajita Tostadas I started by taking corn tortillas, giving them a light spray with some cooking spray and then broiling them in the oven until they became crisp, about 4 minutes per side. Next I made my chicken and bell pepper marinade. This was a combination of a teaspoon of oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic powder, 2 green onions, and Cholula. I let the flavors meld together in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Once the chicken was ready I heated my cast iron skillet, threw on the chicken mixture and let it sizzle away. I heated my refried beans up in the microwave, grated some cheese, and chopped up some lettuce and tomato. When the chicken was almost done cooking I squeezed on the juice of half a lemon. To assemble the Chicken Fajita Tostadas I spread on a layer of the beans, a large spoonful of the chicken mixture, and a little cheese. I then stuck them back in the oven to broil and get the cheese nice and bubbly brown. Once they were done I topped them with lettuce, tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream (plain Greek yogurt is also good). Wahla! Chicken Fajita Tostadas are born.
Not only were they easy to make, but they were incredibly flavorful! These tasty tostadas beat any tostada you can buy around here in Highlands Ranch!
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 t. grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1/2 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. cholula or other hot sauce
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 can refried beans
- Shredded cheese, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for toppings
- Set oven to broil.
- On a cookie sheet lined with foil spray both sides of the corn tortillas with cooking spray.
- Place the tortillas in the oven and broil each side for approximately 4 minutes then set aside.
- Slice the chicken, bell pepper, and green onion into thin strips and place in a mixing bowl coating them with the teaspoon of oil and Cholula hot sauce.
- In a small dish combine the chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.
- Pour the spices over the chicken, pepper, and onion mixture and stir together until everything is coated.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium high heat and add the chicken mixture to the pan.
- Constantly stir the chicken until it is cooked all the way through.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and give it another stir before removing from the heat.
- Spread a layer of refried beans over the corn tortillas.
- Next add the chicken, onion, bell pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle the fajita tostadas with cheese and then place back in the oven on broil for another couple minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with any desired toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, salsa, cilantro, and sour cream.