Mini Strawberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze are perfect for spring brunch! Loaded with fresh strawberries and topped with the perfect amount of sweet and tangy lemon glaze makes it hard to only eat one!
Easter came and went. It couldn’t have been a more gorgeous day in Denver. Perfect for egg hunts, brunch, walks at the park (that’s what we did) and barbecues. With Easter over it’s time to start thinking about Mother’s Day and I couldn’t be more excited for it this year!
This Mother’s Day will be the first time in 3 years that I’ll get to celebrate it with my mom. While I don’t have any plans finalized yet, I know that I’ll be making her a special brunch or dinner, heck maybe both! If brunch is in the plans, these Mini Strawberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze will be as well.
Fresh strawberry muffins are one of my favorites. They’re finally starting to go down in price and look worthy of buying too, which makes them even harder to resist. Berries are one of those fruits that even if I don’t have anything planned to make with them I can’t keep myself from buying box. At least if I don’t manage to use or eat them all I can stick them in the freezer for a later date.
Another thing I can’t resist doing when baking with berries is adding lemon. The two just go together so well, especially strawberries and lemon. Glaze isn’t something I normally put on muffins, but when they’re special occasion muffins like these, it really puts them over the top.
Mini muffins are the perfect size for brunch because you have so much other food to pile on your plate, plus they look so darn cute! The only danger with mini muffins is that you can eat them in one bite and before you know it, you’ve had 3 or 4….maybe that’s just me.
If you’re a 3-4 mini muffin kind of person like me, feel better knowing that these strawberry muffins are 100% whole wheat and use Greek yogurt to replace most of the oil. Of course the sweet and tangy lemon glaze kind of defeats the healthiness, but it’s a small amount and we all need a little sweetness in our lives!
Mini Strawberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray a 24 cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray. You can also use parchment paper muffin liners if you prefer.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the strawberries and stir just enough to coat the strawberries in the dry mixture.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the yogurt, milk, honey, egg, oil, extracts and lemon zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and stir together with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin pan then place it in the oven to bake for 11-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely before glazing them.
- In a small bowl whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth and the consistency is similar to maple syrup. Add more lemon juice or powdered sugar as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Dunk the tops of the cooled muffins into the glaze letting the excess glaze drip off.
- Place the muffins back on the cooling rack and allow the glaze to harden before serving.
More Muffin Recipes