These Raspberry Jam Swirled Almond Butter Muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch or an afternoon snack. 100% whole wheat, vegan and absolutely delicious, it’s hard to only eat one!
Happy first day of March! Spring is just around the corner and I couldn’t be more excited for warmer weather and the color green to return. Of course it could be a while since March tends to be one of the snowiest months in Colorado, fingers crossed it won’t be this year. What better way to celebrate the anticipation of spring, then with a batch of these Raspberry Jam Swirled Almond Butter Muffins!
It’s been a while since I made muffins, probably because when I do make them I have a hard time leaving them alone, sort of like cookies. My husband isn’t big on eating muffins, don’t ask me why, so when I do make them it’s usually up to me to eat them all.
I always have to have one fresh from the oven, and when I say one it’s really more like three. The rest are cooled then individually wrapped and stored in the freezer for when I need a quick breakfast or snack.
Normally I prefer to use fresh fruit in my muffins, but since we’re sort of in between produce seasons right now I decided that raspberry jam would make a great substitution. I have been fortunate enough to buy a few delicious boxes of raspberries, but they weren’t exactly cheap and even more ridiculously priced when they weren’t on sale. I can’t wait until we’re in full blown berry season and I can buy a box for a dollar!
The fun part about using raspberry jam in these almond butter muffins is that you can make pretty swirls with it in the batter. The jam not only adds a vibrant red color to the otherwise boring looking brown muffin, but a wonderful sweet raspberry flavor.
The muffins are 100% whole wheat and they have a great almond flavor with the addition of both almond butter and a little almond extract. Raspberry and almond paired together is one of my favorite flavor combinations, so it was even harder to not overeat these muffins.
These Raspberry Jam Swirled Almond Butter Muffins will be the perfect addition to a spring breakfast or brunch and both kids and adults will love the miniature 2-bite size of them!
Raspberry Jam Swirled Almond Butter Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. and spray a 24-cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the almond milk, almond butter, applesauce, maple syrup and extracts until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and stir together with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Scoop approximately 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of the batter into each muffin cup.
- Top the batter with 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry jam and swirl it into the batter with a toothpick.
- Bake the muffins for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for a couple minutes in the pan before removing them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 47 Calories from fat 59|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1.3||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1||4%|
|Saturated Fat .1||1%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|