Parfaits made up of layers of vanilla pudding, bananas, toasted coconut, and a gluten free crust are the ideal way to eat two delicious flavored pies all in one!
It’s been a while since I made some delicious dessert parfaits. The reason being, I can’t leave them alone. There is something about sweet layers of flavors and textures all piled into a jar or glass that makes me absolutely lose all willpower and self control. These Banana Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits were no exception and the phrase “get in my belly” is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about them!
Blue Diamond recently sent me a box of their Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Vanilla Unsweeteend to try out and create a delicious recipe with. To be honest I was totally overwhelmed with ideas and had a hard time trying to narrow down what to make. This seems to happen to me A LOT!
I go through phases where I struggle to come up with new recipes to make. Everything sounds so boring or like it’s been done 10,000 different ways. Luckily, that phase doesn’t usually stick around long and instead is replaced by me having too many ideas for recipes and not enough days to make them in!
After a lot of back and forth struggle I finally landed on making banana coconut cream pie parfaits. Since it’s still summer (I hope you haven’t forgotten that yet) I wanted to make a dessert that didn’t require any baking.
I also wanted it to incorporate my two favorite summery cream pies, banana and coconut! I haven’t made a cream pie all summer so these parfaits were the perfect way for me to get the flavor of two pies in one.
To make the parfaits a little lighter I used the Almond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Vanilla Unsweeteend for the pudding layer instead of whole milk. The milk gave the pudding a slight nuttiness along with a hint of coconut flavor and is a great option if you need a dairy-free pudding.
I added a good amount of vanilla extract to the pudding once it had thickened for an extra dose of vanilla flavor. After it had chilled I assembled the parfaits. First was the “crust” layer made of almond flour, toasted coconut, coconut oil, and brown sugar. It’s similar to a graham cracker crust, but a great gluten free option.
Next came some sliced bananas that were topped off with the pudding. I repeated this one more time and finished off the parfait with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. Getting a spoonful with every layer in it was the perfect bite of bananas, pudding, coconut, crust, and of course a little whipped cream to top it all off!
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almondmilk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Almond Flour Crust
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- Toasted unsweetened coconut for sprinkling on top of the parfaits
- Whipped cream
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat, heat the almond/coconut milk until bubbles start to form around the edge. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg until well combined. Slowly pour the hot milk into the dry mixture whisking the entire time.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and continue to whisk it over medium heat until it thickens, about 4-5 minutes. Once it thickens lower the heat to low and whisk for another 1-2 minutes. Remove the pudding from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding back into the bowl that the dry ingredients were in and place it into an ice bath. Continue to whisk the pudding every couple minutes until it has cooled completely. Cover the pudding with plastic wrap, placing the plastic directly onto the pudding, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Almond Flour Crust
- In a food processor pulse together all of the ingredients for the crust until combined, don't over-pulse or you may turn it into almond butter.
Assembling the Parfaits
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the crust mixture into the bottom of 4 small glasses or bowls. Place 4-5 banana slices on top of the crust.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the pudding on top of the bananas then repeat the process with the remaining crust, banana slices, and pudding. Top the parfaits with whipped cream and more toasted coconut if desired
To prevent the banana slices from browning, toss them in a tablespoon of lemon juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 405Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 5gSugar: 40gProtein: 8g
Thanks to Almond Breeze Almondmilk for sponsoring this post. As always all opinions are my own.
More Parfait Recipes