It’s been an interesting week weather wise here in Colorado. I’m sure you’ve seen on the news the stories about the flooding in Boulder and Aurora. It’s pretty awful and actually rather strange for this time of year. September is usually one of the drier months, but mother nature is proving all the weather people wrong this year. The rain started Tuesday and I haven’t see the sun or blue sky since then (it’s now Friday morning and still raining). The rain has been pretty consistent, rarely letting up. My run yesterday morning was pretty awful. I was completely soaked within the first couple miles. By mile 9 my shoes were squishing with water, my shirt and shorts were so wet they were painted onto me, and my hair was just dripping! I had to throw my shoes in the dryer because I knew they wouldn’t dry before this mornings run. Luckily this morning it was more of a misty rain and not the steady downpour like yesterday. Because of this wet weather it’s been rather hard to do anything outside including using our newly inherited grill from my uncle and aunt. I had planned to grill these Chicken Ciabatta Roll Pizzas for dinner on Tuesday, but because of the rain I ended up broiling them in the oven. However, they were delicious!
To make these I started by “grilling” two chicken breasts on my George Foreman Grill. Normally I would do this on the outdoor grill. You could also just cook the chicken in a saute pan. I simply seasoned my chicken with salt, garlic powder, and basil. While the chicken was cooking I made my pizza sauce. To be honest I usually don’t measure my ingredients when I make it, I just pour and taste until it comes out right. If I were to guess though I would say that I use a 1/4 t. garlic powder, 1 t. dried basil and oregano, and maybe an 1/8-1/4 t. of salt. I add these spices to a 14.5 oz. can of tomato sauce and a 6 oz. can of tomato paste. This will make enough sauce for 2-3 full size pizzas. It freezes well if you don’t use all of it.
Once the sauce and chicken were ready I cut my ciabatta rolls in half lengthwise and stuck them in the toaster for a minute so they would be crisp. I then spread on some sauce, sprinkled a little bit of part skim mozzarella, put on slices of the chicken breast, and then topped them off with more cheese. I put them on a baking sheet and broiled them in the oven until the cheese was bubbly and starting to brown. The Chicken Ciabatta Roll Pizzas were amazing!
These little Chicken Ciabatta Roll Pizzas are so easy and make. They require minimum ingredients and they are easily adaptable. If you don’t feel like making your own pizza sauce by all means use one from a jar (although I highly recommend making your own), use rotisserie chicken if you don’t feel like grilling chicken. These pizzas a the perfect example of an easy weeknight dinner!
- 3 Ciabatta rolls, cut in half lengthwise, and toasted
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1- 14.5 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 t. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1-1 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Set your oven to broil.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, garlic powder, and basil.
- Grill chicken until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine tomato paste, tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.
- Whisk sauce together until smooth.
- Slice ciabatta rolls in half lengthwise and toast the halves in a toaster.
- Place the rolls on a large cookie sheet and top each half with a couple tablespoons of the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle on a tablespoon or so of the mozzarella cheese.
- Place slices of chicken breast on top of each roll.
- Top the pizzas with a couple more tablespoons of cheese.
- Place the pizzas in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
You might also like: