These Chili Stuffed Cornbread Muffins are a fun way to eat your chili and cornbread all in one bite! An easy to make appetizer for game day that uses up leftover chili. You won’t believe how fast they disappear!
Let’s continue with the game day food today and add these Chili Stuffed Cornbread Muffins to your list of appetizers to make for the upcoming Super Bowl. Chili and cornbread go together like peanut butter and jelly. There’s nothing better than scooping up some of that warm chili with a piece of cornbread. Something about the sweetness of the cornbread and the spicy flavors of the chili go so well together. The only problem is you usually need to be sitting at a table or you’ll end up with red chili stains and cornbread crumbs all down the front of your shirt. If you’re just eating it for dinner the table obviously isn’t an issue, but when you’re at a party or watching the big game the seating situation may not be ideal. As a host, the last thing you want is people trying to balance bowls of chili and cornbread in their laps while sitting on your sofa or standing in the living room on your nice light colored carpet.
Luckily these Chili Stuffed Cornbread Muffins solve the balancing act problem and unless you’re a total klutz prevent any embarrassing spills. Oh and they’re super fun to eat, because food stuffed with more food inside is the best!
Making the muffins is so easy. I started with a basic cornbread recipe then jazzed it up by adding in honey for sweetness instead of sugar, cheddar cheese because it’s an essential topping for chili, and green onions for a little bit of a mild oniony bite. Assembling the stuffed cornbread muffins is also easy! I know sometimes people see that a recipe is “stuffed” and don’t want to mess with it because they think it’s going to be too involved or complicated. Not this recipe!
Simply scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornbread batter into a standard muffin tin then plop one tablespoon of chili into the center of the batter filled muffin cup. Top with another 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter and that’s it! See nothing complicated about it. I actually have a cookie scoop that holds 1 1/2 tablespoons so it made the process even easier. Add these easy, mess and stress free chili stuffed cornbread muffins to your Super Bowl menu, you won’t regret it!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups prepared chili
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or parchment paper liners to prevent the muffins from sticking.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the milk, honey, egg, egg white, oil, Greek yogurt, green onion and shredded cheese.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Scoop 1 1/2 tablespoons of the batter into each muffin cup.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of the prepared chili into the center of the batter.
- Top the chili with another 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cornbread batter.
- Place the muffins on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for a couple minutes in the tin then remove them to finish cooling on a wire rack.
More Portable Game Day Appetizers