Coconut lemon biscotti is perfect for spring! Not only are these biscotti delicious and easy to make, but they happen to be vegan as well!
Biscotti is such a wonderful cookie. It’s pretty much the only cookie I can control myself around. I love how crunchy it is, that it isn’t overly sweet, and it’s perfect for dipping in coffee or tea. I’ve made lots of different kinds of biscotti in the past.
This Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti was a hit at Christmas time, but since it’s spring I wanted a flavor combination to fit the season. Coconut and lemon were the perfect answer!
Earlier this week I made these Tropical Muffins with Macadamia-Coconut Topping and used coconut sugar for the first time. Since I loved it so much, I thought it would be the perfect sweetener for this biscotti.
I also used coconut oil, unsweetened coconut flakes, and coconut extract to give it a great coconut flavor. For the lemon part of the biscotti I stuck to just using lemon zest. I personally find that the zest has stronger lemon flavor than the juice.
If you’ve never made biscotti it’s pretty simple and doesn’t even require a mixer of any kind, which is uncommon when making cookies. It does require more baking time than other cookies, but that just means the smells of cookies baking will be in your house longer.
Biscotti is an Italian cookie or biscuit that is twice baked. You form the dough into a log, bake it once, remove it from the oven and let it cool briefly, cut it into oblong pieces, then bake the individual cookies a second time. Double baking the cookies is what gives them that dry, crunchy texture.
To finish off these Coconut Lemon Biscotti I drizzled them with a coconut lemon glaze. The glaze is optional, but I love the little bit of extra sweetness and punch of coconut lemon flavor that it gives the biscotti and it makes them look extra pretty!
Biscotti is not only delicious as an afternoon treat with a cup of tea, but equally tasty in the morning with a cup of coffee. I bet mom would love a couple of these with her morning Mother’s Day coffee!
Coconut Lemon Biscotti
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 of a cup coconut milk or milk of choice (if the dough is too dry add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract (optional but recommended)
Coconut Lemon Glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
Coconut Lemon Biscotti
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add the toasted coconut and coconut sugar and pulse together until finely ground.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, coconut sugar mixture, baking powder, baking soda, salt, lemon zest, and 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes.
- In a glass measuring cup whisk together the milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and coconut extract. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together with a rubber spatula. Knead the dough just until it comes together. The dough should be stiff and not overly wet. If it is too dry add a little more milk.
- Divide the dough in half and form two 9x2 inch logs on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 25 minutes or until they are golden brown and firm. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheets.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 300° F. Cut the logs of biscotti on a cutting board with a serrated knife into approximately 3/4 inch slices. Lay the slices cut side down back on the baking sheets and bake them for another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the biscotti from the oven and flip the slices, then bake for a final 10-12 minutes. Cool the biscotti completely on a wire rack before drizzling with the glaze.
Coconut Lemon Glaze
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest, milk, and coconut extract until smooth. Dip or drizzle the glaze onto the biscotti. Let the glaze harden before serving or storing.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 12gProtein: 2g
More Cookie Recipes