As runners we tend to all have our favorite things. Favorite shoes, energy gel, pre race meal, post race treat, time of day we run, etc. I’ve found that the more into running or should I say more obsessed with running (yes running is an addiction!) I become the more picky I am with my favorites. Heaven forbid I not have those favorite shorts, GU, or Garmin when it comes time to race. If I don’t have my favorites I go into a panic mode not knowing if it’s possible to even run without these things…how do I do this again, left foot in front of the right or is it right in front of the left… pathetic I know. Maybe you’ve experienced this or maybe you haven’t reached this level of
craziness obsession yet, trust me you will get there eventually. So this brings me to my list of favorites, the things that keep me running happy and without them they will make me do insane things in order to get them. Feel free to copy this list and insert your own favorites, I’d love to know what they are!
1. What are your favorite running shoes? Right now I’m in love with my Brooks Ghost 5 shoes. Even though I love these shoes, I’m hoping I can get a pair of these babies below when it’s time for a new pair. Who doesn’t want a pair of bright purple shoes!
2. What is your favorite brand and flavor of energy gel or do you prefer the chews or bars? My favorite brand is GU. Favorite flavor is Espresso Love! I always look forward to sucking one of these down during my long run. My second favorite flavor is peanut butter although this one doesn’t have any caffeine which is something I severely need during races.
3. Do you have a favorite watch or do you wear one at all? I live and breathe for my Garmin. I swear I’m completely lost without it. It’s kind of pathetic actually. At races there is always that moment of panic where it’s searching for the satellites and I start thinking oh my gosh what if it can’t find one, how will I race!! Luckily that’s never happened, but it’s still always in the back of my mind.
4. What’s your favorite sports drink/recovery drink? This is actually something that isn’t that important to me. During races I just drink what they have, but try to limit how much because I don’t drink anything other than water on my long training runs. I do however love to drink Nuun after long runs or hard workouts. My favorite flavor is Tropical although I’ve been told the Banana flavor is amazing! I need to order this as I am a huge fan of anything banana.
5. Do you have a favorite time of day that you run? I am definitely a morning runner. My legs don’t understand how to move any faster than a leisurely walk after 9:00AM.
6. What do you eat for dinner before a long run or race? My go to meal is pancakes and eggs. I’ve found that I have to keep things low fiber and low on fat the day before races, for obvious reasons that I won’t go in to detail on…email me if you really need to know. I’ve gone as far as to pack my griddle or my pancakes that I’ve frozen from a previous batch to take to races that are out of town. Maybe it’s a little over the top, but trust me it’s better for everyone if I do!
7. What is your favorite treat to reward yourself with after a race? Depending on where I’m racing I actually have 2. The first is dessert, usually I choose an over the top super sized serving of ice cream or frozen yogurt (I sort of have an obsession with frozen yogurt). The second is a big juicy salty burger! I get some major salt cravings after a marathon which are of course followed by my wicked sweet tooth. I’ve run the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon twice and both times I’ve ended up eating at Hodad’s, nothing beats their burger and fries to cure a salt craving.
8. Do you prefer road races or trail? I always prefer road. I am far to uncoordinated for trail racing. I did a race this summer that was supposed to be part trail and part road. As we were lined up at the start they announced that this race was 90% trail…my husband said my face fell like a sack of potatoes. I’ve rolled my ankles and wiped out on trails more times than I’d like to remember, it’s best if I remain on the road (not to say that I haven’t wiped out there too).
9. What race distance is your favorite? I have a sick love for the marathon. There is something about pushing my body beyond 20 miles into the unknown that I crave. Of course you won’t hear me saying how much I love it at mile 23, but you might hear some other things coming out of my mouth. However, at the end when I stagger across the finish line and have people ask me if I need help standing (apparently this is my trademark finish) I forget about how horrible those last few miles felt and within a few
days hours I’m already thinking about what race I want to run next (there’s that addiction I was talking about earlier).
10. Do you have a favorite pair of running shorts, tops, socks, underwear, etc.? Up until today my favorite running shorts were Nike Tempo, but over the weekend I did a 19 mile run in the Oiselle Roga shorts, I think I’m officially converted. These shorts are light, don’t ride up, no chaffing, and have a nice pocket in the back for a delicious Espresso Love GU!
11. What is your favorite race that you’ve run in? So far my favorite race has been the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon. This course has it all. Uphill, downhill, running through Balboa Park, the streets of downtown, up the highway, views of the Pacific Ocean, and the dreaded Fiesta Island that tests your mental toughness at the end. The weather has been great both times that I’ve run it and the crowd turnout to cheer you on is amazing!
I could go on and on with these favorite questions, but I’ll spare you for now. Let me know what your favorites are!