Posted by Danaehttps://reciperunner.com/grilled-tomato-basil-pesto-pizza-with-chicken-sausage-mozzarella-ricotta/
© 2017 Recipe Runner. All rights reserved.
Grilled Tomato, Basil, Pesto Pizza with Chicken Sausage, Mozzarella and Ricotta
ball of pizza dough (approximately 1 pound), divided into 2
tablespoons of pesto
ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
heirloom or tomatoes of choice, sliced thin and patted dry with paper towels
links Al Fresco Sweet Italian Style Chicken Sausage
cup part skim ricotta cheese
basil leaves, torn or chopped
- Heat the grill to around 500-550 degrees.
- When the grill is hot put the 2 links of chicken sausage on and let them heat up for approximately 5-7 minutes, turn them once.
- While the sausage grills, slice the tomatoes and mozzarella cheese and put them on a plate along with the chopped basil.
- Remove the sausage from the grill and slice it into desired thickness. Add it onto the plate with the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
- Stretch or roll the 2 balls of pizza dough into thin rounds, they don't have to be perfect
- Brush one side of the dough with olive oil.
- Place the dough olive oil side down onto the hot grill.
- Brush the top of the dough with more olive oil.
- Grill the pizza dough with the lid closed for approximately 1-2 minutes then flip it over to the other side and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove them from the grill and spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on top of each one.
- Top with slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, sausage, and dollop with ricotta.
- Put the prepared pizza back on the grill and grill with the lid closed until the mozzarella melts, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Finish the pizza with the fresh chopped basil and a sprinkle of kosher salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.
- Grilling times may vary depending on your particular grill. Use your nose and check to make sure the dough isn't scorching. If it is getting to hot move it to a cooler part of the grill.
- Don't roll/stretch your dough out too thin. It's easier to handle if it's a little thicker.