I love shrimp!
Let me rephrase that, I love shrimp if they are prepared the right way. It’s funny because I never used to like shrimp or any seafood or fish for that matter, now I can’t get enough of it!
My favorite ways to eat shrimp are grilled on the BBQ, roasted in the oven, or sautéed quickly with lots of bold flavors. Since it’s still winter around here, I wasn’t in the mood to go stand out in the cold and BBQ the shrimp, so I decided to sauté them.
I wanted to make a pasta dish out of this so I started by cooking up some orzo. Once the orzo was cooked I minced up a large shallot and some garlic. I love using shallots in cooking. They still have an onion flavor but it isn’t as intense as using a standard yellow onion. I added a little butter to my sauté pan and then added in the shallot. I cooked them for a minute until they were tender then added in the garlic and shrimp.
The great thing about shrimp is how fast they cook. I used large shrimp so they only took about two minutes per side to cook. While the shrimp were cooking I threw in the zest of a lemon. I then added a couple tablespoons of white wine and the juice of the lemon. The smell of the lemon, wine, shallot, and garlic was amazing. When the shrimp was pink and cooked through I added the orzo back in the pan and finished the dish off with a cup of peas some freshly chopped parsley. I topped the lemon parsley shrimp with orzo and peas off with a little bit of grated parmesan cheese. The combination of the lemon and parsley in this dish are so fresh. The peas go perfect with the pasta and shrimp adding just the right amount of sweetness and crunch. This is such an easy dinner to make and it looks so elegant. It would be great to serve at a dinner party or as a romantic dinner for two!
- 3/4 cup orzo, uncooked
- 1 pound large raw, peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/2 T. butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/8 t. freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of a lemon
- 2 T. white wine
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- Parmesan cheese, shredded for the topping (optional)
- Cook the orzo according to the box instructions, omitting any oil it calls for.
- When the orzo is cooked drain it and set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat add 1/2 a tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter is melted add in the minced shallot and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and the shrimp.
- Season the shrimp with the salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
- Cook the shrimp for 2 minutes on each side or until it is slightly pink and opaque.
- Add in the white wine, and lemon juice and cook for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and add in the peas, parsley, and orzo.
- Toss everything together.
- Serve immediately topped with shredded parmesan cheese.
Don't overcook the shrimp or they will be tough and chewy.
More Shrimp Recipes: