Did everyone have a good Easter? I sure did! I was able to do all of my favorite things in one day; run, eat, visit with family, cook, bake, and eat some more! I started my morning with a 10 mile run knowing that by the end of the day all those calories burned would be irrelivent with all the candy that would be consumed throughout the day and the delicious cake I was making for dessert. After my run I started the day of feasting off right with one of these delicious lemon sandwich cookies.
There was a cute flower shaped one that I decided would be perfect for making Easter/Spring cookies. I followed my Grandma’s spritz cookie recipe making a couple modifications including replacing some of the flour with white whole wheat flour, adding lemon zest, and using vanilla extract instead of almond extract.
Well, I could have just stopped there, but what fun would that be! I was making these cookies to give as Easter gifts so I wanted them to be extra special. I decided to make them into sandwich cookies and fill them with yummy lemon buttercream filling. I have a lemon tree loaded with lemons so it wasn’t like I was short on the star ingredient!
To make the buttercream I simply beat together the butter, milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest until it was fluffy.
Then I added in the powdered sugar and a drop of yellow food coloring and beat it again until there were no more lumps. I ended up with way more buttercream than I needed, next time I will only make half that amount….or make more cookies, I’m sure my husband and family wouldn’t object to more cookies!
Once the cookies have cooled completely, spread a little (or a lot) of the buttercream on one cookie and then smash the other one down on top. Take a bite of the cookie sandwich or shove the whole thing in your mouth. The fresh, sweet and tangy taste of the lemon fills your mouth making you smile and go “mmmmmm”. I promise these cookies will not disappoint!
- 1 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 T. lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/8 t. baking powder
- 3 T. butter
- 1 t. skim milk
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar or a little more if frosting is too runny
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter, sugar, egg, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together the flours, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until combined.
- Form the dough into a log and place it into the cookie press.
- Press the cookies out on to an ungreased baking sheet placing them close together.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 6-9 minutes or just until they are golden around the edges.
- Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack before applying the buttercream.
- Cream together the butter, milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest until fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Spread the buttercream on one cookie and then press the other cookie down on top.
- Store cookies in an airtight container, preferably in the fridge so the buttercream doesn't get too soft.