Crisp edges, a chewy center and loaded with trail mix goodies! Not only are these Oatmeal Almond Butter Trail Mix Cookie Bars a tasty treat, but they’re also made with better-for-you ingredients. Perfect for a snack or treat at the end of your next hike!
For the last few days, the weather in Denver has been unreal! I’ve been going for afternoon walks in my shorts and tank top soaking in as much sun as I possibly can. I know it’s just a tease, it is only February 1st, but I’ll take what I can get.
All the warm sunny days have me dreaming about summer and hiking in the mountains. Of course I can still hike now, but you won’t find me wearing my shorts. You’d probably still find me snacking on one of these Oatmeal Almond Butter Trail Mix Cookie Bars though!
Besides the amazing views and clean, fresh air, I love that wonderful feeling of disconnecting from technology, media and everyday life when you’re out in nature. Whenever I’m out hiking or trail running everything I was worried or stressed about seems to disappear.
When I look at the layers of mountains that seem to go on forever, listen to the wind in the trees and breathe in the mountain air, I feel refreshed and energized. Everything seems so simple, untouched and just as it should be. It truly is therapy, but without the price tag.
Another thing I enjoy about hiking are the snacks. Food always tastes so much better when you reach your destination on a hike. You worked hard for it and you want to savor every bite. I was definitely savoring every bite of these Oatmeal Almond Butter Trail Mix Cookie Bars!
The bars are crisp on the outside with a wonderful chewy middle. They’re filled with all sorts of trail mix goodies such as dried cherries, mini chocolate chips, pistachios and coconut flakes. You can easily swap out any of them for your favorites.
These cookie bars are made with wholesome ingredients like almond butter and whole grain oats. They’re gluten free, vegan and perfect to bring along on your next hike!
More Bar Recipes
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free oat flour
- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dairy free mini chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons pistachios chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together the oat flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a handheld mixer, cream the almond butter, coconut sugar and vanilla together on high speed with the paddle attachment. Turn off the mixer and add in the dry mixture along with the almond milk. Turn the mixer back on to low speed and gradually up to medium once the ingredients start to come together. Beat just until incorporated being careful not to over mix.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips, coconut, dried cherries and pistachios. Dump the dough into the prepared baking pan and use your hands to press it into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes our mostly clean, be careful not to over bake or they won't be chewy. Let the bars cool in the pan before lifting them out with the parchment paper. Cut into 12 squares. The bars are best kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator to prevent them from drying out.
Feel free to change up the trail mix add ins to whatever your favorites are.
*Remember that while these use better-for-you ingredients they are still dessert and should be eaten in moderation.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g