Oh Rice Krispie treats, such a classic fun little handheld dessert. It’s one of those desserts that brings back childhood memories. I’m sure we can all remember the familiar ‘snap, crackle, pop’ noise coming from the bowl of cereal as milk was poured over the top of it.
I remember when I was a kid and they came out with Rice Krispie Treats cereal. Being the sugar lover that I am I was obsessed with these, but of course was only allowed a box on a special occasion because essentially you were eating dessert for breakfast, not that there’s anything wrong with that! However, when you are a kid these decisions about eating dessert for breakfast aren’t up to you.
Until recently I really hadn’t thought about making these simple treats, but then I started seeing creative recipes for them popping up all over the internet. Some of my favorite ones I’ve seen are, Lemon Ginger Crispy Treats, Coconut Almond Rice Krispie Treats, S’more Rice Krispie Treats, Strawberry Shortcake Rice Krispie Treats, and of course these drool worthy Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats.
I am a firm believer that salted caramel is a magical thing and can turn many desserts from good to holy yum that’s amazing! That was exactly what happened while making these. Classic Rice Krispie treats are always delicious, but binding them together with salted caramel rather than just butter took them to a whole new level. I shared my Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats with my mom and a friend who both said they weren’t sure they could ever go back to eating the ones made the regular way.
I love salty and sweet combinations and this definitely had both of those elements in it. The caramel itself has sea salt added to it and then to add just a little more saltiness I sprinkled some on the top when they were done. These treats are no bake and are a great dessert to take to a picnic or BBQ. Give them a try, but be prepared to never go back to making them the old fashioned way!
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 T. water
- 3 T. butter
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/8 t. sea salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (10 oz) package mini marshmallows
- Sea salt for sprinkling on top of treats
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add the sugar and water.
- Heat the mixture, swirling it around until it starts to turn a dark caramel color.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add in the butter whisking it until it melts.
- Add the half and half and continue to whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Add in the 1/8 t. sea salt.
- In a large stock pot over medium low heat add the marshmallow and salted caramel, stirring together until the marshmallows melt.
- Add the Rice Krispies to the marshmallow caramel mixture stirring until they are all coated.
- Dump the Rice Krispies into a 9x13 dish coated with cooking spray.
- Press the mixture evenly into the dish.
- Sprinkle sea salt on top of the Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats.