How many of you really get into Valentine’s Day? Do you consider it a true holiday or one that card makers and flower companies made up? I’m torn about the day of love. I used to love it when I was a kid, but now that I’m an adult it doesn’t seem so exciting…can I blame my husband for that? One thing I do love about Valentine’s Day is the excuse to make gorgeous and delicious desserts, like these Strawberry Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Pies.
When I was a kid I remember how fun it was at school on Valentine’s Day. We used to make heart shaped mailboxes out of construction paper and then go around and fill everyone’s mailbox with little Valentine’s Day cards and candy. A lot of times I would bring homemade Valentines, my mom is the crafty type and we did a lot of fun DIY projects. To this day I usually end up making my Valentines rather than buying them. First I think they are much prettier, second they are more personal and heart felt, and third the sayings written in them don’t gag me. It’s so hard to find a Valentine’s Day card in the store that isn’t so sappy it grosses you out or so cheesy you can’t imagine giving it to anyone.
Along with the card there is usually some sort of gift. When I was a kid and until the day I moved out of my parent’s house, my dad would always have a box of Sees chocolates for my mom, sister, and myself. My mom’s of course was the biggest, but hey she deserves it! I always like to surprise my husband with a little something special. Usually it’s either a gift card or donuts or pastries from our favorite bakery. I then of course plan a special dinner and dessert to make for him with all his favorites. Cooking and baking for people is how I truly show my love for them.
This Valentine’s Day I have some special things planned for dinner and dessert and one of them are these Strawberry and Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Pies. I’m not saying it will be the only dessert, I usually have a couple made, but it will definitely make an appearance. The pies are so easy to make and uses only a few ingredients. I made these frozen yogurt pies in my mini tart pan so we could each have our own, but you could easily bake it in an 8 inch pie or tart dish as well.
The chocolate crust is filled with diced strawberries, chopped up pieces of dark chocolate, and of course vanilla frozen yogurt. If you are a true chocolate lover you could even use chocolate frozen yogurt! I topped the Strawberry Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Pies with whipped cream and a couple pieces of strawberry for garnish. It is Valentine’s Day after all and we all love a pretty presentation. Whether or not you consider Valentine’s Day to be a true holiday you should still have a little celebration and what better way than to make these Strawberry Chocolate Frozen Yogurt Pies!
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer cookies, or 6 chocolate graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon butter or light butter spread, melted
- 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, slightly melted
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate, chopped
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray mini tart or pie pans, or an 8 in pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a food processor or with a rolling pin, crush the chocolate wafers until they are fine crumbs.
- Add in the melted butter and pulse or stir until combined.
- Press the crumbs into the prepared pie dishes and bake them for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely.
- In a large bowl stir together the semi-melted frozen yogurt, diced strawberries, and chopped chocolate until the mixture is completely combined.
- Divide the frozen yogurt mixture evenly between the prepared crusts (you might have extra) then stick them in the freezer for at least 3 hours or until they are hard.
- Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving to let them soften slightly, then top with whipped cream and more strawberries if desired.