Let’s take a minute to talk about tarragon. Are you a fan of it? Have you ever used the herb before? If you haven’t tried it before it’s definitely worth checking out. Tarragon is an herb that I don’t use very often, although I’m not sure why, I actually really enjoy it. I think it gets overshadowed by more popular herbs like basil, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. But I’m about to change that. It’s time tarragon had it’s day in the spotlight! These Tarragon Chicken Salad Wonton Cups might be my new favorite way to eat chicken salad.
The flavor of tarragon is often described as similar to licorice or anise, and that is very true. I know some people don’t find that flavor particularly appealing, but I found it to be the perfect flavor addition to these Tarragon Chicken Salad Wonton Cups. I originally planned to serve this chicken salad over some mixed greens, but then I spotted the wonton wrappers in the refrigerated section at the grocery store and thought how tasty not to mention cute the chicken salad would be served in individual wonton cups. To be honest I had never used wonton wrappers before so I was curious and eager to try them out. I am so glad I bought them! They make the perfect little edible serving dish. I don’t know about you, but I get pretty excited when I can eat the vessel that the food is served in!
Let’s talk about the wonderful tarragon chicken salad for a minute. First off, I find chicken salad to be one of the easiest and most versatile meals to make. You can pretty much add anything to the chicken that you want making it as traditional or far fetched in flavors as you like. I would rank this tarragon chicken salad more on the traditional side, with a little twist thanks to the star of our recipe, tarragon! To make the chicken salad I cooked two chicken breasts seasoning them with a little salt and pepper. Once they were cool, I diced them up and threw them in a bowl with some diced celery and green onion, and for sweetness some juicy grapes. Most chicken salad calls for gobs of mayonnaise, but I wanted to make mine lighter, after all there are swimsuits to be worn and legs to be shown.
To make the dressing for the salad lighter I used a combination of plain non fat Greek yogurt and light mayonnaise. The other essential flavorings I added to the dressing were of course the wonderful tarragon, fresh lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. The chicken salad had the perfect creamy texture without being overly dressed and the flavor was so light and fresh. The anise flavor of the tarragon paired nicely with the sweetness of the grapes and the tang from the dijon. These Tarragon Chicken Salad Wonton Cups would make a wonderful appetizer for a summer dinner or even brunch. Not only are they cute looking, but they are fun to eat!
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
- 1/2 cup grapes, quartered
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 T. light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. fresh tarragon, chopped
- ½ t. kosher salt
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Press the wonton wrappers into the muffin tin forming little cups.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes or until the wrappers are golden brown, cool on a wire rack.
- While the wonton cups are cooling, dice 2 cooked and cooled chicken breasts.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, celery, green onion, and grapes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, dijon mustard, tarragon, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicken salad and fold together until everything is coated in the dressing.
- Spoon 1-2 spoonfuls of the chicken salad into the wonton cups.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to an hour.
The chicken salad can be made ahead of time, but wait until just before serving to fill the wonton cups to prevent them from getting soggy.