This easy to make Zucchini Spice Sheet Cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting is perfect for making anytime of year. Whole wheat, sweetened with honey, loaded with warm spices and super moist! No one will suspect that it’s been made with healthier ingredients!
It’s a big day here at Recipe Runner. Unless this is your first time stopping by, I’m sure you noticed the new and improved look of the blog! I’m so excited to finally reveal this much need facelift to you guys. So much so, that of course I thought we should celebrate with this Zucchini Spice Sheet Cake!
All the credit for the beautiful new design goes to Sarah Menanix who is also the blogger at Snixy Kitchen. None of this would have been possible without her. Frankly, anything having to do with graphic design or the technical site of my blog stresses me out beyond belief. Not only is Sarah clearly a talented graphic designer, but her photography and recipes are gorgeous and beyond creative. She is a master of flavors when it comes to gluten-free baking!
Along with the new look of the blog which is much more reflective of me and my style, I also made a couple adjustments to the recipe index which I hope will be easier for you all to find what you’re looking for. You’ll notice there are more categories which will hopefully make it easier to search for your favorite recipes and find new ones to try. There are also no more drop down menus. I found that the drop down menus were a little annoying to click on when you were using a desktop computer. If you have any questions, comments or problems navigating the site or finding a recipe please let me know.
Since this is a day for celebrating there has to be cake and I’m absolutely in love with this Zucchini Spice Sheet Cake! My zucchini plant has slowed down some, but I still picked a couple more last week. I don’t know what I’m going to do when I have to start buying them again, I’ve been spoiled the last couple months.
Spice cakes are one of my favorites and since I lack cake decorating skills, I’m all about the sheet cake. Many zucchini cakes call for a ridiculous amount of oil or butter in them, the original recipe for this one did too. However, I see no reason to use that much when you can sub in Greek yogurt. Along with the zucchini it keeps the cake extra moist and without all the added calories and fat. This means we can eat a larger slice!
The cake is also 100% whole wheat and sweetened entirely with honey. The honey adds a wonderful flavor to go along with all the cinnamon and allspice. The cream cheese frosting is also sweetened with honey and cinnamon and it’s finger licking good. It’s the perfect after dinner treat or you could even include it in your next brunch!
More Cake Recipes
Zucchini Spice Sheet Cake
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or whole may also be used
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 5 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or whole may also be used
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, use 1/4 cup for a sweeter frosting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour a quarter sheet pan or a similar 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl whisk together the wet ingredients then pour them in with the dry and stir together with a rubber spatula. Add in the shredded zucchini and mix together just until incorporated being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared sheet pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool the cake completely on a wire cooling rack before topping it with the frosting.
- Using a stand mixer or a handheld mixer, beat together the cream cheese and Greek yogurt on medium speed until smooth, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and beat another 2-3 minutes. Cover and refrigerate the frosting until you are ready to spread it on the cake.
- The frosting will be thinner than a traditional cream cheese frosting because there's no butter in it and it uses a liquid sweetener.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 207mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g