Apple cider chicken skillet is an easy and healthy dinner that’s all made in one pan! You’ll love the sweet and savory combination of flavors!
Pork and apples are a classic pairing. I can remember eating pork chops and applesauce quite frequently growing up. But did you know that chicken and apples are an equally delicious combination?
Since we don’t eat pork very often, I thought that chicken would be the perfect substitution in this fall skillet dinner. Apple cider chicken skillet is a delicious pairing of savory, sweet and tart flavors. This is an easy one pan meal that should take much more than 30 minutes to make.
Ingredients For Apple Cider Chicken Skillet
- chicken breasts
- fresh rosemary and thyme
- chicken broth
- apple cider
- dijon mustard
- heavy cream
How To Make Apple Cider Chicken Skillet
Start by seasoning the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cooking them in the skillet. If you’re using large chicken breasts it’s helpful to halve them so that they don’t take as long to cook.
Once the chicken is cooked through to 165° F., remove it from the pan and onto a plate. Cover the chicken with foil so it stays warm. Wipe out the skillet and add additional olive oil, then add in the apple wedges, shallots, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper.
Sauté the apples and shallots until the apples are tender and the shallots are soft and caramelized. Add in the chicken broth, apple cider, and dijon and stir until the dijon is dissolved in the sauce.
Stir in the cream and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt and pepper if needed. Nestle the chicken in with the apples and shallots and pour any of the juices in that have collected on the plate.
Bring everything to a simmer and spoon some of the sauce over the top of the chicken. Before serving garnish with additional fresh thyme and rosemary. For ideas on what to serve with this apple cider chicken skillet see below.
The Best Apples For Cooking
When selecting an apple to cook with, you want to choose one that is firm and holds up well under the heat of cooking. This is no time to use a Red Delicious apple. Some of my top choices for apples to cook with are Honeycrisp, which I used for this apple cider chicken, Golden Delicious, JonaGold, Fuji, and Pink Lady.
Are Apple Cider And Apple Cider Vinegar The Same Thing?
No. Don’t confuse them or you’ll be extremely disappointed in the outcome of this recipe. Apple cider is unfiltered apple juice. This is why you’ll see pulp or sediment at the bottom of the jug.
Apple cider vinegar or cider vinegar is vinegar made from fermented apples. It’s used in vinaigrettes, marinades, and food preservatives. Although some people do drink a small amount of it, it’s not something you want to sit down and have a big glass of or use a large amount of in a recipe.
What To Serve With Apple Cider Chicken Skillet
- Skinny Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Herb Roasted Potatoes with Blue Cheese
- Mashed Butternut Squash with Goat Cheese and Rosemary
- Butternut Squash Farro Salad with Arugula and Cranberries
- Autumn Apple and Pear Salad
Apple Cider Chicken Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 apples, cored and cut into approximately 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 1 cup sliced shallots or onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet and heat it over medium heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the pan and then add in the chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 6-7 minutes and then flip them over and cook until they reach an internal temperature of 165° F. Remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate. Cover with foil to keep it warm.
- Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the shallots, apples, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper to the skillet and sauté until the apple are soft, about 7-9 minutes.
- Pour in the broth, apple cider, and dijon mustard. Stir until the mustard dissolves into the sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then pour in the cream, taste for seasoning. Stir everything together and add the chicken back into the skillet along with any juices.
- Simmer everything for another 1-2 minutes and then garnish with additional thyme and rosemary before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 46g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.
Delicious! Love this recipe.
I’m so glad you like it!