Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet is a 30 minute, easy and delicious recipe the whole family will love! It’s all made in one pan, works great for meal prep and there’s so many ways to serve it!
I bet you were a little surprised to see a ground beef recipe on my blog. I’m definitely more of a chicken, turkey, fish girl, but every once in a while I get a craving for beef. My husband on the other hand would probably live off of beef. Needless to say he was very excited when I made this Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet.
This is an easy one pan dinner that has flavors most people can get behind. You’ve got spice from the chili powder, savory from the ground beef and a little sweetness to balance it out from the sweet potatoes. This skillet meal takes about 30 minutes to make and there’s many ways to serve it, which I’ve shared below.
Ingredients Needed to Make Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
- yellow onion
- ground beef, I prefer grass fed 90/10%
- chili powder and ground cumin
- sweet potato
- fire roasted tomatoes
- diced green chiles
- cheddar, Colby Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
How to Make Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
To make this skillet recipe start by adding the ground beef and diced onion to a large skillet with a little bit of olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to crumble the beef. When the beef is nearly cooked through add in the garlic, chili powder and ground cumin. Cook everything for another minute and then pour it out onto a plate.
Wipe out the skillet and add in the diced sweet potato, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, water, more chili powder and cumin. Stir everything together, cover it with a lid and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Add the ground beef mixture in with the sweet potatoes and stir everything together. Top it with shredded cheese and cover with a lid for a couple minutes so that the cheese melts. Garnish with cilantro and serve with slices of avocado if you’d like.
How to Serve the Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
Rice – Serve on top of white or brown rice. For extra flavor try it with cilantro lime rice.
Cauliflower rice – For a lower carb option try cauliflower rice. I season mine with salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. You could also docreamy mashed cauliflower.
Quinoa – Quinoa is another great option if you want something other than rice. For my tips on how to cook perfect quinoa check out refer to this post for sun dried tomato quinoa salad. The ground beef and sweet potato skillet would also go great with this Mexican quinoa salad with honey lime vinaigrette on the side.
As is – Since this skillet recipe contains both protein and carbs, it’s actually quite satisfying to serve on it’s own.
Tacos – Use it as taco or burrito filling. Top it with cilantro, chunks of avocado and even some pickled red onions would be delicious!
Can I Make it Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! This recipe not only tastes great the day you make it, but the leftover are delicious for several days after. It’s a great option if you meal prep.
Can I Freeze the Southwest Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet?
Yes. After everything is cooked let it cool completely. I suggest skipping the cheese on top and waiting until you plan to eat it to add it on. Once it’s cooled transfer it to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to two months.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 5 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 14.5 ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the ground beef and diced onion and crumble the beef with a wooden spoon. Add in 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, and season with salt and pepper. When the beef is nearly cooked through add in the garlic and cook for another minute. Pour it out onto a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Add the diced sweet potato, fire roasted tomatoes, green chiles, water, 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper to the skillet. Stir everything together and cover it with a lid. Lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the ground beef mixture in with the sweet potatoes and stir everything together. Top with shredded cheese and cover with the lid again for another minute or until the cheese is melted. Top with chopped cilantro and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 486Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 431mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 40g
More Southwest Inspired Recipes