This Baked Pizza Chicken is perfect for nights when you’re craving pizza, but not the crust! Top is with pepperoni and black olives or customize it with your favorite toppings!
My husband and I are big fans of pizza. We usually make or order one once a week. This spinach and artichoke dip pizza is our current favorite and in the summer we love having this chicken peach ricotta pizza with arugula and balsamic glaze.
Sometimes I make my own pizza dough, but usually we just buy some at Whole Foods. Occasionally we run into the problem of the pizza dough being frozen and there isn’t enough time to defrost it or make homemade before dinner. On those days I’ve come up with the perfect solution, Baked Pizza Chicken!
I know, it’s not truly pizza. But aside from no crust, all the flavors are there and you can customize it with whatever toppings you like. It’s also a nice option when you’re wanting something lower in carbs.
Ingredients Needed to Make Baked Pizza Chicken
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Italian seasoning, dried oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
- marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
- black olives
- fresh basil
How to Make Pizza Chicken
Making this baked pizza chicken is just as easy if not easier than making a homemade pizza.
Heat some olive oil in a large oven safe skillet and season the chicken with the spices, salt and pepper. When the oil is hot add in the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip it over and cook several more minutes. The chicken shouldn’t be cooked through at this point.
Pour the marinara sauce into the skillet and spoon some of it onto the top of the chicken. Top everything with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Place several slices of pepperoni on top of the chicken and scatter in the sliced black olives.
Bake the chicken for about 15 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F. Remove the skillet from the oven and garnish with fresh chopped basil.
Pizza Chicken Topping Ideas
If you’re not into pepperoni and black olives here are some alternative topping suggestions.
- Italian sausage
- mushrooms, bell peppers and onions. Sauté the vegetables before adding them since they won’t have enough time to cook down in the oven.
- pineapple and ham for a Hawaiian version
- ricotta cheese dollops in place of the Parmesan cheese
How to Serve Baked Pizza Chicken
- With a big salad on the side
- Garlic bread
- On top of pasta
- With creamy polenta
- Stick it between a bun and make a sandwich
In the mood for traditional pizza with the crust? Here are some of my favorites!
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza
- Brussels Sprouts and Ricotta Pizza
- Grilled Caprese Pizza
- Pear Prosciutto and Gorgonzola Pizza
- White Pizza with Bacon and Arugula
Baked Pizza Chicken
- 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (salt-free)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups marinara or pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a small bowl combine the Italian seasoning, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the spice mixture all over the chicken breasts.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the chicken and sear on one side for about 2-3 minutes and then flip it over and sear the other side for another 2-3 minutes. The chicken shouldn't be cooked through at this point.
- Pour the marinara or pizza sauce into the skillet covering the chicken with some of it. Place a few slices of pepperoni on top of each chicken breast and scatter in the black olives. Sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over the top of everything, then place the skillet into the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken is 165° F. (use a meat thermometer to check). Remove the skillet from the oven and top it with fresh chopped basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1008mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 54g
Leave a Reply