It just became very aware to me that I have no recipes that involve baked potatoes on my blog! I’ve been blogging for almost two and a half years and not one baked potato. I have a couple sweet potato recipes that were just recently added and this Light Loaded Potato Soup that I shared the recipe for on Sunday, but no, zilch, nada, baked potatoes! I’m sorry. Let’s fix this immediately. Today I’m sharing my first recipe involving baked potatoes, Broccoli, Cheddar, Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes!
I seriously can’t believe it’s taken me two and a half years to share a recipe involving a baked potato. This coming from a girl who as a child thought the main dish at Thanksgiving was mashed potatoes. This from the girl who when faced with a basket of french fries can easily down that whole basket on her own and not bat an eye.
I think MAYBE the reason I have avoided sharing recipes involving baked potatoes is because so many of them aren’t exactly healthy. Since this IS a blog promoting healthier cooking and eating I found it hard to give you a recipe for french fries or potatoes swimming in butter and sour cream.
However, these Broccoli, Cheddar, Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes are the perfect solution to getting that baked potato fix without all the calories.
These twice baked potatoes are what you would call a complete meal. You have your vegetables and carbs (broccoli and potatoes), protein in the chicken, and dairy and calcium in the cheese and Greek yogurt.
The potato mixture doesn’t use any butter or heavy cream to add richness and moisture, but rather low sodium chicken broth and non fat Greek yogurt. The combination of the two along some salt, pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning, creates a creamy, light, and flavorful mashed potato filling.
Adding chicken, broccoli, and a little cheddar cheese turns an average twice baked potato into a delicious and healthy dinner. This is not only a dinner adults will like, but kids as well. The flavors are simple, but classic and ones most people can get behind.
The twice baked potatoes can also be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for those busy weeknights or when you aren’t in the mood to cook. Be sure to add these Broccoli, Cheddar, and Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes into your weekly menu rotation and I promise to start sharing more recipes involving these delicious baked spuds!
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup frozen or fresh broccoli florets, defrosted and chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth, more if needed
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450° F. and line a baking sheet with foil. Wash the potatoes then pierce holes in them with a fork and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the potatoes for about an hour or until they are fork tender.
- Once baked, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside leaving a 1/4 inch border all the way around.
- In a large bowl mash the flesh of the potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Greek yogurt. When the potato filling is at your desired consistency, fold in the shredded chicken, cheese, and broccoli.
- Put the filling back into the hollowed out potato skins and bake them in the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the filling is heated through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 241Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 432mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g
More Broccoli Chicken Recipes