Spaghetti Squash stuffed with a creamy, cheesy, chicken and broccoli filling and topped with more melted cheese! This Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash makes a great gluten free, low carb comfort food dinner!
This past weekend it felt more like summer than fall, but I’m not complaining. The snow and cold temperatures can stay away for as long as they’d like, I prefer an 80 degree day. My husband was pretty busy with work this weekend, so it gave me a lot of time to go through cookbooks that I hadn’t looked at in a while and dream up new recipes to share with you. Most of the time I get inspiration for my recipes from magazines, cooking shows or cookbooks, but once in a while I just pull one straight out of my brain that sounds good, like this Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash.
When I decided to make this recipe for dinner last week, I really didn’t have a plan other than I wanted to use the spaghetti squash I had and the chicken breasts that I always have. I thought back to the broccoli chicken and cheese casserole that my mom used make when we were kids. Confession, I absolutely hated it, sorry mom, but you probably already knew. I’m sure it tasted great, but I had such a dislike for broccoli back then that I wouldn’t touch it without having a full blown meltdown. Luckily I got over my dislike of broccoli and now enjoy it.
My husband isn’t a big fan of spaghetti squash, a big plate of pasta is more his style. I’ve been determined to make a spaghetti squash recipe that he would actually like and I finally nailed it! I think the key way making it creamy and cheesy that finally got him to say he liked it. The great part about this Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is that it’s uncomplicated, lighter on calories despite the cheese and total comfort food.
The one thing to remember when you make the sauce for it, is to mix the Greek yogurt in last and off the heat so that it doesn’t curdle. The yogurt makes it super creamy without having to use any milk or cream, plus it saves a ton of calories. If you want a lower carb dinner that tastes like the broccoli and chicken casserole you might remember eating as a kid, then you have to give this healthier stuffed spaghetti squash version a try!
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, or 2 small, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, use 1/2 teaspoon if you want it spicier
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 ounce low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Rub or spray the interior with oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Place the halves cut side down on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until a knife can be inserted in the flesh easily.
- Remove from the oven and let the squash cool until it can be handled.
- Using a fork scoop out the flesh in long strands and put them in a bowl.
- Place the skin/shell back on the baking sheet and set aside.
Chicken and Broccoli Filling
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Spray a large non-stick skillet with oil and heat over medium high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add in the chicken, season with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet onto a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add a couple teaspoons of olive oil to the skillet.
- Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the skillet then add in the shallot, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté for about a minute then add in the broccoli florets.
- Season with salt and pepper then add in a couple tablespoons of water and cover with a lid.
- Let the broccoli steam for about 2 minutes, then uncover and add the chicken back in.
- Add in the cream cheese and chicken broth and stir everything until smooth and a sauce starts to form.
- Add in half of the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt until combined.
- Taste for seasoning then pour the filling into the bowl with the spaghetti squash strands and stir together until combined.
- Divide the filling evenly into the spaghetti squash shells and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 477 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 776mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 14g Protein: 41g