Chili Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls are loaded with juicy marinated chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, rice and topped with a creamy avocado sauce! Healthy, filling and perfect for meal prep too.
Any kind of bowl situation filled with protein, carbs, vegetables and some kind of sauce is one of my favorite weeknight dinners to make. There’s countless options when it comes to the ingredients you use. Pretty much anything you have on hand can work.
Lately I’ve been loving these Chili Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls. They’re filled with juicy marinated chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, black beans and an avocado sauce you’ll be eating by the spoonful! It’s a great bowl to make if you love Southwest and Mexican inspired recipes.
Ingredients Needed to Make Chili Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Chicken breasts
- Limes, I suggest having 3 on hand in case they aren’t very juicy
- Chili powder
- Sweet potatoes, 1-2 of them depending on the size.
- Black beans
- Greek yogurt
How to Make Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Start by combining the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper together and adding them to a freezer bag along with the chicken breasts. It’s best to marinate the chicken for a minimum of 1-2 hours or as long as overnight.
- Cook the rice and once it’s done, squeeze in lime juice, stir in a tablespoon or so of chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- While the rice is cooking, roast the sweet potatoes in olive oil, chili powder, salt and pepper. I like to dice mine so that they don’t take as long to cook.
- During the cooking time for the sweet potatoes and rice you can also grill, bake or cook the chicken in a skillet on the stove. My preference and suggestion is to grill it. Be sure to let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting it.
- The final step is to make the avocado sauce. In a blender or food processor, combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, Greek yogurt, salt and pepper and purée it until it’s smooth.
Can I Make Them Ahead of Time?
Yes. These burrito bowls are an excellent option if you meal prep. The whole recipe can be made ahead of time or you can make portions of it ahead of time. I recommend marinating the chicken the night before as well as, roasting the sweet potatoes and cooking the rice.
Chicken – If you don’t have chicken or would like to make these burrito bowls vegetarian or vegan, you can omit the chicken.
Rice – Any type of rice can be used. I used brown rice, but long grain white rice, Jasemine or Basmati are all good. You can also use quinoa if you prefer. For a lower carb option substitute with cauliflower rice.
Black Beans – Black beans can be substituted with pinto beans.
Greek Yogurt – The Greek yogurt in the avocado sauce gives it an extra creamy consistency and a bit of tang. If you want to make the bowls dairy free or vegan you can omit the yogurt or substitute with a few tablespoons of full fat canned coconut milk.
More Bowl Recipes
Jerk Chicken Bowls with Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
Cauliflower Rice Fish Taco Bowls
Healthy Chicken Shawarma Bowls
Chili Lime Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 of an avocado, peeled and seed removed
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups diced roasted sweet potatoes (see notes)
- 2 cups cooked brown or white rice (see notes)
- Whisk together the ingredients for the chicken marinade and pour them into a freezer bag. Add in the chicken then press out the air and seal the bag. Massage the marinade into the chicken and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 400° F. and oil the grates. Place the chicken on the grill and cook for approximately 6-8 minutes then flip it over and cook another 6-8 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165° F. when it is cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before dicing or slicing it for the bowls.
- In a blender or food processor, add in all of the ingredients for the avocado sauce. Blend until smooth. If the sauce is too thick add in a tablespoon or so of water to thin it out. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- To assemble the bowls, start by adding a 1/2 cup of rice to each bowl. Divide the chicken, beans and sweet potatoes evenly between the bowls. Top with the avocado sauce or serve it on the side.
- Cook the rice according to package instructions (I usually omit the butter). When the rice is cooked add in a tablespoon of chopped cilantro and squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lime. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the roasted sweet potatoes I drizzled them with olive oil, salt, pepper, ground cumin, and chili powder. No need to measure, just add as much or little seasoning as you like. Roast in the oven at 400° F. for approximately 20 minutes or until they're tender.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 519mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 12gSugar: 9gProtein: 51g
Leave a Reply