Chocolate Almond Frozen Banana Bites are the perfect afternoon snack or dessert! Slices of banana stuffed with almond butter, dipped in chocolate, rolled in crushed almonds.
Can you believe that it’s already the middle of August and for most of the country the kids are either back in school or will be this week! I don’t have kids so having them go back to school really doesn’t affect me except on the way to the gym in the morning.
To get to our gym I have to drive by the high school and middle school and it’s an absolute nightmare. During the summer it takes me less than 5 minutes to get to the gym, but the minutes school is back in session, double that. I know the drive is short and either way it doesn’t take much time, but when going to the gym isn’t your favorite activity having to sit in traffic doesn’t make going any easier. I swear some parents that are driving their kids to school think they take priority of the road and that traffic laws are optional for them. I often find myself shaking my head or rolling my eyes at the stupidity of some people. Does this sound like a familiar scene to anyone else or is it just me that feels like I’m in the middle of a game of Frogger every weekday morning?
Along with traffic and crazy drivers during the school year comes the inevitable “I’m hungry” from the mouths of kids when they get home from school. I know it was a daily phrase I used to say and still say right around 3:00 pm everyday. Well today I’m here to help with an easy and delicious snack that is sure to make both kids and adults happy, Chocolate Almond Frozen Banana Bites.
I’m sure you’ve seen chocolate covered banana bites all over Pinterest and maybe I’m a little late to the game, but I couldn’t resist making this frozen treat! To make mine slightly different from some of the ones you may have already seen I used Blue Diamond’s Blueberry and Salted Caramel Almonds. I was so excited to try out these two flavors, and boy were they delicious! I thought that crushing up the almonds and using them to coat the chocolate dipped bananas would give them a nice crunch plus both salted caramel and blueberry pair well with chocolate! Another bonus to these Chocolate Almond Frozen Banana Bites is that they have a dollop of almond butter smooshed between the two slices of banana, because what kid (or adult) doesn’t love a little surprise filling in their afternoon or evening treat! Keep a batch of these banana bites in the freezer so you’ll be prepared this school year for the inevitable “I’m hungry” that is sure to be said at least 10,000 times.
- 2 bananas, sliced about 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Line a quarter sheet pan with parchment paper and set aside. Crush the almonds in two batches with a food processor then put each flavor in a separate small bowl.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup and microwave it in 30 second intervals until just melted.
- While the chocolate is melting slice the bananas. Take a slice of banana and dollop about a 1/4 teaspoon or slightly less of almond butter on the cut side. Take another banana slice and place it on top of the almond butter so that the almond butter is sandwiched between the two banana slices.
- Place the banana "sandwich" in to the melted chocolate and roll it around with a fork until coated. Lift the bananas out of the chocolate with the fork and let the excess chocolate drip off. Place the bananas into either of the bowls of crushed almonds coating them on all sides with a separate fork.
- Remove the bananas from the crushed almond with the fork that wasn't used in the chocolate and place them on the parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat the process until all the banana bites have been made then place the baking sheet in the freezer for a couple hours. Once the banana bites are frozen remove them from the baking sheet and store them in an airtight container in the freezer.
This is a great guide on the easiest way to make the chocolate dipped bananas.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 97Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g