Can you believe it’s already February? January just flew by! When I think of February I think of chocolate, strawberries and that little thing called Valentine’s Day. Over the next week and a half I’ll be sharing lots recipes for both sweet and savory dishes you can impress your loved one with. Before we dive into all the fancy stuff lets remember that we are still eating healthy and before you grab that chocolate bar, try one of these healthy Dark Chocolate and Cherry Energy Bites!
These Dark Chocolate and Cherry Energy Bites are going to blow your mind! Next to my Cinnamon Apple Energy Bites I think they may be my new favorite. Unlike the energy bites I’ve made in the past, these ones are not only vegan and gluten free, but sugar free and Paleo as well.
The Dark Chocolate and Cherry Energy Bites are made with minimal ingredients yet they taste just like eating a ball of brownie batter with some cherries added in. To make the energy bites I used a combination of raw almonds and cashews, medjool dates, dark unsweetened cocoa powder, a pinch of salt, vanilla extract, and dried cherries. I soaked the dates in hot water for about 15 minutes to soften them up so they would combine into the other ingredients easily.
Using a high speed blender to make energy bites is by far the easiest way to go. However you could use a food processor, just keep in mind that the texture may not be the same and that it may not grind up the ingredients as finely as the blender would. Once the dates have soaked go ahead and add the nuts, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt to the blender and blend until they are finely ground. Add the dates and dried cherries into the blender in several batches along with a couple tablespoons of the water that the dates were soaking in. After a couple minutes everything should come together and you will have something that looks like the consistency of thick brownie batter.
With wet hands, form the mixture into tablespoon size balls. Making sure your hands are slightly wet will prevent the energy bite mixture from sticking to your hands. The final step is optional, but does make for a nicer presentation. Roll the Dark Chocolate and Cherry Energy Bites in some of the unsweetened cocoa powder. By doing this you hide any imperfections and they look more along the lines of a truffle. The next time that chocolate craving hits or you find yourself headed for the candy dish at work, grab one of these totally healthy Dark Chocolate Energy Bites instead!
- 8 pitted medjool dates, chopped and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes.
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the almonds, cashews, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Blend everything together until it is finally ground.
- Blend the dates, cherries, and water into the nut mixture in several batches scraping down the sides of the blender after each batch.
- Once the mixture comes together and resembles thick brownie batter, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture out and roll it into a ball with wet hands.
- Roll the energy bites in dark cocoa powder if desired.
- Store the energy bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.