Egg rolls get a healthy makeover and are turned into an easy one pan dinner when you make this egg roll in a bowl! Made with ground chicken and broccoli slaw, it’s a 30 minutes meal you’ll be making on repeat!
Why I love this bowl recipe
- It has all the flavor of an egg roll, minus the hassle of messing with the wrapper and deep frying.
- It’s a one pan, quick and easy dinner that can be made in 30 minutes.
- It’s a good balance of protein, veggies, and carbs if you choose to serve it over rice. If you’ll following a low carb diet you can skip the rice and do cauliflower rice instead.
- Instead of coleslaw mix I opted for broccoli slaw. I love the crunchy texture that it adds.
Are there eggs in an egg roll bowl?
Despite the word “egg” being in the name, there are no eggs in an egg roll bowl. Traditionally eggs were used in the dough of the wrappers for egg rolls, however most wrappers today are made with rice paper.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Toasted sesame oil
- Ground chicken – you can also use ground turkey, beef, or pork.
- Broccoli slaw – similar to cabbage coleslaw mix, but broccoli replaces the cabbage.
- Carrots – While there are carrots in the broccoli slaw mix, I like to add extra because I feel like there’s never enough.
- Scallions – Milder onion flavor than yellow or white onions.
- Ginger and garlic – The aromatics. I highly recommend grabbing a knob of fresh ginger instead of using ground ginger. The flavor is superior and you really want it to come through in this recipe.
- Soy sauce – substitute with tamari to make this recipe gluten-free
- Rice vinegar
- Honey or maple syrup
- Sriracha – A commonly used Asian condiment similar to hot sauce that is spicy with hints of garlic.
- Mayonnaise and plain Greek yogurt – used as the base for the sauce drizzled on top of the egg roll bowls.
How to make egg roll in a bowl
Make the sauces – Whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sriracha, and honey. This is the sauce that will flavor the ground chicken and broccoli slaw.
For the sriracha mayo simply whisk together the mayo, Greek yogurt, sriracha, and honey. Depending on how sweet or spicy you like your food you may want to add more or less of the sriracha or honey.
Sauté the chicken and broccoli slaw – Start by browning and crumbling the ground chicken in the sesame oil. Be sure to season with salt and pepper as you go. Once the chicken is mostly cooked through add in the broccoli slaw, carrots, scallions, ginger, garlic, and additional salt and pepper.
Sauté until the broccoli slaw softens and becomes tender and then pour in the soy sauce mixture. Stir everything and let it cook for several more minutes until the sauce thickens and is somewhat absorbed into the meat and vegetables.
Assemble – At this point you can serve the egg roll in a bowl right out of the skillet with some of the sriracha mayo drizzled on top. You can also use one of the serving suggestions that I’ve listed below.
Substitutions and variations
- Use whatever type of ground meat you like best. Turkey, beef, and pork all work.
- Use cabbage coleslaw mix instead of broccoli slaw.
- Add a teaspoon or two of fish sauce for extra umami flavor.
- Replace the sriracha mayo with teriyaki sauce. My homemade version that I use in these teriyaki salmon bowls is delicious and can be made in 10 minutes!
What to serve with it
- White or brown jasmine rice. This is what’s show in the photos and a personal favorite of mine.
- Serve on top of ramen or rice noodles.
- For a low carb option try cauliflower rice.
Leftovers and storage
The leftover egg roll in a bowl will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This is a great option if you meal prep. Just store it in individual containers and you’re ready to go.
To reheat the leftovers you can simply microwave them or if you prefer reheat them in a skillet on the stove.
More Asian Inspired Recipes
Did you make this egg roll in a bowl? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 12 ounce bag of broccoli slaw
- Rice for serving (optional)
- Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sriracha or to taste
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons grated or minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sriracha, or to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and sriracha in a bowl. Whisk together and set aside,
- In a separate bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sriracha mayo. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground chicken and crumble with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until mostly cooked through.
- Add the broccoli slaw, carrots, green onions, garlic, and ginger to the ground chicken. Stir everything together and continue to cook until the broccoli slaw is tender and softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the soy sauce mixture and stir everything together. Cook for several more minutes until the sauce has thickened and absorbed into the chicken and broccoli slaw. Taste for seasoning.
- Serve as is or on top of rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Drizzle on the sriracha mayo.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 837mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 31g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.