Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes are flavorful, easy to make, and the perfect side dish for your next meal! Seasoned with warm, earthy, garam masala, sweet maple syrup, and fresh lemon juice. It’s the perfect combination of flavors!
Roasted sweet potatoes are a common side dish in our house. Usually I just season them with salt and pepper and call it good.
You can’t go wrong making them that way, but when you want something a little different I highly recommend trying these garam masala roasted sweet potatoes.
The warm earthy flavor of the garam masala pairs perfectly with the natural and added sweetness from the maple syrup.
To brighten the flavor I squeezed fresh lemon juice on them after they finished roasting. That pop of citrus put them over the top! This sweet potato side dish is one that will go well with almost any protein and you could even add it into a salad.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Buy good sweet potatoes. They should feel heavy and have skin that isn’t wrinkled, this is a sign that they’re old.
- Scrub them clean or peel them.
- Cut them evenly. I cut off the ends and then slice them into rounds about 1/2 – 1 inch thick. I then cut the rounds into equal sized cubes. Cutting them to a near equal size will help to ensure that the cook evenly.
- Use enough olive oil and seasoning. I usually do 1 tablespoon of olive oil or avocado oil per pound of sweet potatoes.
- Thoroughly toss them in the olive oil and seasonings with your hands to ensure that each piece is coated. Don’t just drizzle, sprinkle, and call it good.
- Spread the sweet potato cubes into a single layer on the sheet pan and make sure there is space in between them. If they are crowded they’ll steam and you won’t get those golden caramelized edges.
- Roast the sweet potatoes at a high heat. I like to roast them at 425° F. Anything higher and you may risk burning the oil which won’t taste good.
- Rotate the sheet pan halfway through the cooking time so that they roast evenly.
What Is Garam Masala
Garam masala is a spice blend that is often used in Indian cuisine. It loosely translates to mean “warming spices”.
The blend of spices used can vary by region, but it often contains cinnamon, black pepper, cumin, coriander, cloves, and cardamom. The black pepper provides the “spicy” aspect while the remaining spices are sweet and earthy in flavor.
Ingredients For Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- garam masala
- maple syrup – not pancake syrup, use the real stuff.
- olive oil, salt, and pepper
How To Make Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes
This roasted sweet potato recipe is so easy. Be sure to check out my tips above on how to roast sweet potatoes so they come out perfectly cooked.
Start by preheating your oven to 425° F. Scrub the sweet potatoes clean. Peel them if you’d like, however it’s optional since the skin is so thin.
Dice the sweet potatoes and then place them on a rimmed sheet pan. To cut back on clean up, line the sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.
Drizzle olive oil over the sweet potatoes and then sprinkle on the garam masala, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to toss them until they’re evenly coated in the oil and spices.
Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast the potatoes for 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and use a spatula to toss them around so that they cook evenly. Roast for another 15 minutes or until they’re tender and caramelized around the edges.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and drizzle on the maple syrup. Squeeze the juice of half of a lemon over them and then toss together. Taste for seasoning and add any additional salt, pepper, maple syrup, or lemon juice as needed.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Did you make these Garam Masala Roasted Sweet Potatoes? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, cleaned and cut into approximately 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 teaspoons garam masala
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoons if you want them sweeter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425° F. For less clean up, line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes on the sheet pan. Drizzle the olive oil over them and sprinkle with the garam masala, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to toss them until they're coated.
- Spread the sweet potatoes out into a single layer making sure there is some space in between them so they don't steam. Place the sheet pan in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Remove the sheet pan and use a spatula to toss the sweet potatoes around. Roast them for another 10 minutes or until they're tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and drizzle them with the maple syrup and fresh lemon juice. Toss together and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.