These Healthier Double Chocolate Muffins with Coffee Glaze are a breakfast dream come true! All the decadence of a chocolate cupcake, but at less than 180 calories per muffin they’re perfectly acceptable for breakfast!
I made these Healthier Double Chocolate Muffins with Coffee Glaze last Wednesday during our blizzard. They were basically the highlight of my day and my way of coping with the ridiculous weather. Since I was trapped inside and it was freezing cold I couldn’t think of a better excuse to turn on the oven and bake something. I’ve been wanting to try making a healthier chocolate muffin because it’s basically an excuse to eat a chocolate cupcake for breakfast.
The only chocolate muffin I’ve ever tried was an over the top store bought one from Costco. To be honest I’m not big on chocolate for breakfast. It was one of those “muffins” that should really be labeled as cake because after you inhale it you stumble upon the calories, fat and sugar and realize you’re going to have to go for a 7 mile run just to burn it off. That was the beginning and the end of me eating chocolate muffins for breakfast. I have priorities when it comes to the food I splurge on and none of them involve crappy store bought muffins.
Because there are so many chocoholics out there who would gladly eat chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I knew there had to be a healthier yet still delicious way to satisfy that craving first thing in the morning. Hence, the Healthier Double Chocolate Muffin with Coffee Glaze was born on a cold and snowy morning!
The first step to making these muffins healthier was to make them 100% whole wheat. The whole grains will stick with you all through the morning, plus they have fiber which is always a good idea in the morning. Secondly I ditched the oil and butter and replaced it with Greek yogurt, hooray for more protein! The sugar in the muffin has been replaced with honey, although the glaze does still use powdered sugar. Sorry, but I have yet to figure out how to make a coffee glaze with honey…let me know if you figure it out. The double chocolate in these muffins comes from unsweetened cocoa powder which keeps the calorie and fat count down and chunks of chopped up dark chocolate. I like using dark chocolate because it doesn’t make things overly sweet and it has an intense chocolate flavor. Plus dark chocolate is healthy, right? Right! So there you have it, a chocolate muffin that is downright tasty and one you can eat for breakfast and not have to spend the next hour running or working off at the gym!
Healthier Double Chocolate Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk, I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (I used 70% dark)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder disolved in 1/4 teaspoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with parchment paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk or sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the milk, yogurt, honey, egg and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and fold together with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Fill each muffin cup approximately 3/4 of the way full and top with a few extra chunks of dark chocolate if desired.
- Place the muffin tin on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins on a cooling rack before drizzling the tops with the coffee glaze.
- In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth.
- The glaze should be thick enough to set, but still pourable, add more sugar or milk if needed.
- Drizzle over the tops of the cooled muffins.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1037.02Total Fat: 19.5gCarbohydrates: 205.66gProtein: 23.88g