There is nothing in the world more comforting to me than a bowl of chicken noodle soup. I love the way this soup warms you up on a cold day, makes you feel better when you are sick, and brings back childhood memories. Today I’m sharing the recipe I grew up on, Lightened Up Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.
Aside from switching out the regular egg noodles in this soup with whole wheat egg noodles, (I’m pretty sure there was no such thing as whole wheat egg noodles when I was a kid) it is the exact recipe that my mom used to make. I love everything about this soup from the classic celery, carrot, and onion combo, to the heartiness that the chicken and noodles add to the soup. I also love that this version of chicken noodle soup uses milk to give it a delicious creaminess. My mom always used skim milk and so do I because that’s what we always have on hand and that’s what keeps it on the lighter side. Of course the higher the fat content in the milk the creamier your soup will be. If you just can’t handle skim milk use 2%, but no half and half or cream, otherwise why are we calling this lightened up?
Like I said before, this Lightened Up Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect to warm you up on a cold day which is exactly what we had on Monday. After a week of gorgeous weather in Colorado, I’m talking sunny and high 60’s, mother nature thought it would be fun to change things up and dump a foot of snow on the ground and take those beautiful 60 degree temperatures and drop them down into the 20’s. I was not amused. Luckily, it’s been sunny and warmer the past couple days and the snow is melting, just in time for another dumping of snow we are supposed to get this weekend. That’s life in Colorado, especially in the spring. 65 degrees one day and 25 the next. That’s okay though because our summers totally make up for it!
On cold winter or spring days when you are freezing your buns off, get in your kitchen and make a big pot of this Lightened Up Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. Not only will it warm you up on the coldest of days, but you can feel good about eating this healthy bowl of soup. All the delicious flavors you expect from chicken noodle soup, the added creaminess from the milk, and absolutely no guilt! Stay warm and enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, diced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups skim or 2% milk, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 6 ounces whole wheat egg noodles
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- When the oil is hot add in the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic cooking them for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all of the herbs and spices and cook for another minute.
- Add in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling lower the heat to medium low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the diced chicken and the egg noodles and cook for another 10 minutes.
- In a glass measuring cup whisk together the flour and milk until it is smooth.
- Stir the milk mixture into the soup and bring to a boil.
- Let the soup boil for 3 minutes then serve.