Tequila Lime Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. Full of grilled citrus flavor and one of the most flavorful salsas you’ve ever had!
It’s been a couple weeks since I shared a recipe for grilled chicken. These grilled Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Sesame Zucchini Noodles were the last recipe and they were incredible! Today I’m sharing a recipe for Tequila Lime Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa and it’s perfect for summer grilling.
This grilled chicken recipe is so versatile. I love making dinners where I can turn the leftovers into something different the next night so you don’t feel like you’re eating the exact same thing. The first night I made it we ate it as is, low-carb style. My husband though, being the king of carbs would have preferred his in taco form, which is how I served the leftovers the next night. You could also make cilantro lime coconut rice to go with it or throw it on top of greens for a great salad.
The marinade for the chicken is simple, but flavorful. A combination of fresh lime juice, tequila, olive oil, cumin, garlic and hot sauce give the chicken a citrusy flavor reminiscent of that margarita you’ll be drinking alongside this dinner. Because there’s a lot of acid in the marinade you don’t need to marinate it for more than an hour or it may change the texture of the chicken.
What sets this tequila lime chicken apart from the other hundred recipes you can find for it, is the grilled pineapple mango salsa served on top. This salsa exceeded my expectations as far as flavor goes. Grilling fruit makes it sweeter and it’s flavor more intense ,which in return yields a more flavorful salsa.
This was my first time grilling mangos and it definitely won’t be the last. I couldn’t believe how sweet and caramelized their flavor became after spending a few minutes on the grill. Along with the grilled fruit there is also red onion, cilantro, chili powder, lime juice and a jalapeño for some spice. Do yourself a favor and kick up your grilled chicken game this week by making Tequila Lime Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa!
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken
Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Sesame Zucchini Noodles
Hawaiian Chicken Skewers with Cilantro Coconut Rice
Grilled Chicken and Goat Cheese Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette
Tequila Lime Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
Tequila Lime Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded into equal thickness
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste (I used approx. 3/4 t. salt)
- Several dashes of hot sauce
Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 1 ripe mango, flesh cut from the pit in large flat slices
- 1 small fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into rings or wedges
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients for the tequila lime chicken marinade in a measuring glass and whisk together.
- Place the chicken breasts in a gallon size freezer bag and pour the marinade over them.
- Press the air out of the bag, seal it and massage the marinade into the chicken.
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and brush or spray the grates with oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill at the same time you grill the pineapple and mango.
- Grill the chicken for approximately 4-8 minutes depending on the thickness, then flip over and grill for another 4-8 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush or spray the grates with oil.
- Brush the slices of pineapple and mango with oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill grates.
- When the grill is ready place the sliced pineapple and mango on the grates (flesh side down for the mango).
- Grill the pineapple for approximate 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the slices or until nice grill marks form.
- Grill the mango for approximately 3 minutes total or until nice grill marks form.
- Remove the fruit from the grill and let it cool until it can be handled.
- Cut the mango into slices then remove the skin and cut the flesh into small chunks.
- Cut the pineapple into small chunks.
- Place all of the ingredients for the salsa into a serving bowl and toss together.
- Serve on top or alongside the chicken.
Serve the chicken and salsa as is or with a side of rice or in tortillas for tacos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 24gProtein: 37g
It looks delicious. I am assuming it’s safe to ki give to kids. Can u please confirm?
Yes, it’s safe for kids. Any alcohol that the chicken absorbs will be removed in the cooking/grilling process.
I made the tequila lime chicken with pineapple mango salsa but smoked the chicken. It was awsome.
I love that you smoked the chicken! If I had a smoker I’d be doing that all the time!
Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet says
Did someone say “tequila”? This looks amazing!!
Yes to all of this! I love the flavors you used in this dish. Pineapple and chicken pair so well together.
Aimee @ ShugarySweets says
I love that you grilled the pineapple for the salsa! This dinner looks incredible!
Kristen Chidsey says
This is like a margarita for your chicken–YUM!!
Kellie @ The Suburban Soapbox says
I know what I’m having for dinner tonight!