These Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a flavor explosion for your tastebuds! Sweet, spicy, savory they have it all. A quick and easy dinner or party party appetizer that will be ready in 30 minutes or less!
Happy Monday! I can’t believe we’re already at the end of March. I’m fine with that though, it just means we’re another month closer to summer and the end of spring snow. My parents are here this week and I’m excited to be making dinner for someone other than just my husband and myself. Not that I don’t like making dinner for us, it’s just nice to do it for someone else. One of the things I plan to make are these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps. They’re quick and easy to prepare, so I won’t be stuck in the kitchen long making them.
I can’t say that it’s going to be all that warm here this week, to be honest it’s actually supposed to be kind of crappy starting Wednesday. It’s a bummer because I was hoping to do more things outside with my parents while they’re visiting and my mom is not a fan of the cold and snow anymore.
March is usually one of my least favorite months of the year here in Denver because we typically get some heavy, wet snow storms. We had one roll in last Sunday night and it dumped at least 5-6 inches when they only predicted 1-3 inches. The part that always gets me, is that my husband and I went for a walk that morning in shorts with the sun shining. It’s crazy how fast and drastic the weather changes in the mountains.
Even if the weather doesn’t cooperate this week and let us do some of the things I had planned outside, I know that these Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps will be a hit with everyone.
They’re a little sweet from the hoisin sauce and honey, spicy from the red curry paste and have great freshness from the lime juice, mint and cilantro. I like to serve them in Butter or Bibb lettuce leaves because they form great little cups to hold the ground chicken mixture in. Romaine lettuce would also be a good alternative.
To add some crunch to the lettuce wraps I added in chopped cashews. There’s something about cashews in Thai food that tastes so good! These Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps are great for an easy dinner or party appetizer and they’re much healthier and less expensive than anything you’ll find at a restaurant.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, gluten-free brand if needed
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound lean ground chicken, organic if possible
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoon roughly chopped unsalted cashews
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, rinsed, leaves separated and dried
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl the oil to coat the bottom of the skillet then add in the onion. Sauté for 2 minutes then add in the ground chicken, season with salt and pepper and crumble with a wooden spoon. Cook until the chicken is longer pink and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Pour the sauce over the chicken mixture and stir to coat. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, mint and cashews. Taste for seasoning. Serve immediately in the rinsed and dried lettuce leaves.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 98mg Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Protein: 23g
More Thai Recipes