These Green Chile Turkey Burgers with Guacamole and Pickled Red Onions are packed with Southwest flavor and perfect for grilling this spring or summer!
Happy National Burger Month! Yep, May is burger month. It’s the perfect month to celebrate burgers because it’s finally warm enough to grill, unless of course you’re living in Colorado, then there’s always that possibility of a freak spring snow. For everyone else though, you’re probably good to go. Memorial Day is also this month which for most of us is the first holiday of the spring and summer season that requires a good barbecue and get together with friends and family. To celebrate this month of all things burgers I joined up with a group of bloggers who will all be sharing creative and delicious burgers throughout the month of May. The creator of this epic month of burger goodness is Kita at Girl Carnivore, be sure to check out her amazing burger! My contribution to #BURGERMONTH are these mouthwatering Green Chile Turkey Burgers with Guacamole and Pickled Red Onions!
If you’ve been following my blog for a while you’ve probably picked up on the fact that I LOVE anything made with green chiles! Born and raised in Arizona and now living in Colorado, roasted green chiles are in my blood. One of my favorite times of year is late summer when the roasted Hatch green chiles are available. Last year I stocked up on them at our local farmers market and froze them so I’d have them available all year round. If you’ve ever smelled green chiles roasting in one of the big chile roasters you know the peppery charred smell is intoxicating and one you don’t forget!
I’m sure you get the picture by now that I’m a little obsessed with them. To add to my obsession, the only obvious thing to do was make these green chile turkey burgers for burger month. The burger itself is lean thanks to the turkey, but what it lacks in fat it makes up for in flavor. The star is the roasted green chiles, which can easily be replaced with canned green chiles if you aren’t fortunate enough to have a bag in your freezer. There is also a good amount of cumin, chili powder and a little cilantro.
Every burger needs some awesome toppings and since I went Southwest with mine, pepper Jack cheese, guacamole and pickled red onions were a must! I shared the recipe I use for guacamole, but I know everyone has their own preference so feel free to use this or your own favorite recipe. If you’re like me and don’t care for the strong flavor of raw onions, give this super easy quick pickled version a try. It sweetens them up and mellows out the intense flavor. As if the turkey burger recipe isn’t fantastic enough on it’s own, there are also giveaways going on all month long. Check out all the awesome prizes and enter for your chance to win below!
- American Lamb Board – (4) ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
- Cabot Cheese – (4) Cabot Cheese Legacy Gift Box – 2 each Farmhouse Reserve, White Oak & Alpine Cheddar – 1 each New York Vintage & Seriously Sharp & 1 Wine Bottle Opener
- Cassabella – Week 3 – 1 Chop ‘N Prep™ Cutting Board with 4 Cutting Mats
- Certified Angus Beef – (4) CAB prize grilling accessory kit, $50 VISA card, and a George Motz Hamburger America cookbook.
- Char-Broil – (4) Char-Broil Performance 780 Charcoal Grill
- Cowboy Charcoal – (4) Hardwood Lump Charcoal, a variety of wood chips and some of Cowboy’s new BBQ sauces.
- Cuttingboard.com – (4) Olive Wood Carver Board
- Dreamfarm – Week 2 – Big Vebo
- Grill Master Club Subscription Grilling Box – (4) curated grill sample boxes
- KitchenIQ -Week 1 – V-etched Container Grater
- Swissmar – Week 4 – Glow 7PC Fondue Set