Say goodbye to dry, flavorless turkey burgers and hello to these juicy Apple Cheddar Turkey Burgers! Sliced apples, cheddar cheese and maple dijon mustard are the perfect sweet and savory toppings!
Turkey burgers are a favorite of mine, I actually prefer them over beef. Of course this is all depending on if they are made the right way. So many of the turkey burgers in restaurants are actually not that great for you. In fact you’d probably be better off going with the beef.
When people see turkey burger on a menu they automatically think healthy, but in most cases the restaurants are using dark meat turkey. I can’t say I blame them, all that extra fat gives the burger much needed moisture and flavor.
However, there are healthier ways to make a lean turkey burger taste great and not cause you to choke on it because it’s so dry. In the case of these Apple Cheddar Turkey Burgers, it’s the shredded apple in the burger itself that adds a nice amount of moisture and apple flavor.
Along with shredded apple you’ll also find green onion, dijon mustard and a little apple juice. They’re simple ingredients, but when paired with the toppings it makes for a delicious and healthy burger. Another great thing about these turkey burgers is that they can be cooked in a skillet for those days when you want a burger, but aren’t about to go stand outside in 20 degree weather manning the grill.
The toppings for the turkey burger aren’t the usual lettuce and tomato although you could throw those on too if you wanted. Instead of lettuce and tomato this burger is topped with sharp cheddar cheese, slices of sweet apple and an incredible maple dijon sauce. It’s a classic flavor combination that gives you the perfect sweet, savory and salty bite.
For those of you doing low-carb feel free to wrap the turkey burger up in lettuce, eat it as is or even chop it up and put it on top of a salad. If you go the bun route, I always suggest toasting your bun for that nice toasty crunch. This Cheddar Apple Turkey Burger is a totally satisfying dinner for days when that burger craving hits and will make you forget all about the dry flavorless ones from the freezer section or the calorie bomb at the restaurant!
More Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, I use 93/7%
- 1 apple, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple juice (or water)
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat or gluten-free buns, toasted
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
Maple Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large bowl use your hands to combine all of the ingredients for the turkey burgers being careful not to overwork the meat. Divide the turkey mixture into 4 equal parts and form them into patties.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add the patties to the hot skillet and cook on each side for approximately 4-6 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- During the last minute of cooking add slices of cheddar cheese to the tops of the burger and cover with a lid or foil until the cheese is melted.
- While the burgers cook whisk together the maple dijon mustard, slice an apple and toast the buns. Serve the turkey burgers topped with slices of apple and some of the maple dijon mustard.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 458 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 108mg Sodium: 743mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 47g