Celebrate #NationalHummusDay with this easy Basil Pesto Hummus and Roasted Tomato Crostini! You only need 4 ingredients to make this addicting little bite!
Happy National Hummus Day! Oh what you didn’t know? That’s okay, I forgive you. I can’t keep track of most of these food holidays either. I always wonder who came up with the idea for a food holiday. I mean I’m not complaining, I’m always down for celebrating some good food! There seems to be a lot of celebrating in the month of May and I kind of like it. First I celebrated National Burger Month, then Cinco de Mayo, then Mother’s Day, then my birthday (a.k.a. the biggest national holiday of them all) and now National Hummus Day. Lucky for us this addicting dip/spread day happens to fall on a Friday and this Basil Pesto Hummus and Roasted Tomato Crostini can easily become your Friday night dinner!
When it comes to Friday night dinners it’s either pizza, leftovers, or appetizers for us. I like to keep things simple on Fridays after a busy week of work. Appetizers like this Basil Pesto Hummus and Roasted Tomato Crostini are basically what you’d call an “unofficial meal”. They aren’t really meant to be dinner, but once you eat one you won’t be able to stop and suddenly you’ve eaten half the plate and now the crostini IS your dinner. That’s okay though because it’s sort of a complete meal. Carbs, protein, vegetables sort of, add in a glass of wine for fruit and you’re set!
The great part about this crostini is you only need 4 ingredients to make it. A crusty baguette is a must, cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and a container of Sabra’s Basil Pesto Hummus. I had no idea there were so many awesome hummus flavors until I started working with Sabra! I’ve had the privilege of eating my way through several different flavors over the last few weeks and it’s darn near impossible to choose a favorite because they’ve all been so good.
When it came to this crostini, the Basil Pesto Hummus was the way to go. You can taste all the flavor of pesto swirled into the creamy hummus and when it’s slathered on top of a piece of grilled bread and topped with sweet oven roasted tomatoes it’s truly an addicting appetizer! I would know I ate 5 pieces of it. If you haven’t already made plans for your Friday night, I’ve made them for you. You, this Basil Pesto Hummus and Roasted Tomato Crostini and a bottle of wine. You’re welcome!
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or kept whole if they are extra small
- Olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/2-1 inch thick slices
- 1 container Sabra Basil Pesto Hummus
- Fresh basil thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil and toss until coated.
- Spread the tomatoes out into a single layer then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast them for approximately 15-20 minutes or until they collapse and are soft.
- While the tomatoes are roasting brush the slices of baguette with a little olive oil and either grill or toast them until they are golden brown.
- Spread the Basil Pesto Hummus on top of the baguette slices and top with the roasted tomatoes and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately.
Thanks to the wonderful people at Sabra for sponsoring this post. As always all opinions are my own. To celebrate #NationalHummusDay Sabra is giving away coupons available only on 5/13 (midnight to midnight EST). Grab yours and make hummus your #UnofficialMeal!