This post has been sponsored by CollectiveBias, Inc. and Quaker. All opinions are mine alone.
I am so excited to be sharing today’s recipe with you! I know it’s Monday and especially hard for all of us to crawl out of bed after a wonderful four day weekend. To ease the pain I am sharing one of my all time favorite holiday pies with you, Caramel Apple Crumb Pie, topped with a to die for whole grain oat topping!
The holidays are quickly approaching and with that comes all of the parties and get togethers with family and friends. Sharing a warm, delicious, baked dessert is one of my favorite ways to show people how much I care about them. One of my favorite things to bake during the holiday season is this Caramel Apple Crumb Pie! I’ve been making this pie for my family for years and someone, usually my dad, always requests it.
When it comes to pie I prefer that my pies have the delicious whole grain oat topping rather than a double crust. To be honest, a good portion of those delicious rolled oats clumped together with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon end up in my mouth before they even make it to the top of the pie! The oat crumb topping of this apple pie is truly the star. I love using Quaker’s Old Fashioned Oats in the topping because they add some much texture and flavor.
Making this Caramel Apple Crumb Pie is actually really simple. The apple filling is an easy mixture of peeled and sliced apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Once you’ve combined all of those ingredients add them to the prepared pie crust. Now for the best part, that addicting oat topping! In a small bowl combine the Old Fashioned Oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and cubed cold butter.
Using a pastry blender or your hands work the mixture together until crumbles form. Add the topping (or what’s left of it) on top of the apples then pop it in the oven to bake. A word of warning, your house will start to smell incredible, your mouth will water, and you will crave a slice of this pie! Once the pie comes out of the oven drizzle it with the caramel sauce. This Caramel Apple Crumb Pie is sure to be a hit with your family and friends this holiday season!
For the Apple Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Oat Topping
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
For the Caramel Sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons low fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
To Make the Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the pie dough into a 9 inch glass or ceramic pie plate. Create a fluted crust with your fingers or crimp the edges with a fork. Refrigerate until the rest of the pie is prepped.
- Wash, peel, and thinly slice the apples, placing them in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to the apples and stir together until they are completely coated.
- In a separate bowl stir together all of the oat topping ingredients except the cubed butter. Once the topping ingredients are combined add in the cold cubed butter and work it into the mixture with your hands or a pastry blender until crumbles form.
- Pour the apples into the unbaked prepared pie crust. Top the apple filling with the oat topping. Bake the pie for 45-55 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
To Make the Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, brown sugar, salt, and water, stirring the mixture until it melts.
- Bring the mixture to a boil for 3-5 minutes, stirring it occasionally. Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the evaporated milk and vanilla.
- Drizzle desired amount of the caramel sauce over the apple pie. Store any of the remaining caramel sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 410Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 236mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 3g