Apple Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze is perfect for fall! This easy to make spiced cake with fresh chunks of apples and a decadent salted caramel topping is delicious on it’s own or served warm with vanilla ice cream.
This recipe and photos have been updated since the original post on 11/1/2012
Do you have a favorite dessert? I don’t know if I can limit myself to one favorite dessert, there are so many choices! I tend to favor desserts that aren’t chocolate. I know, I know how is that possible? It’s not that I don’t like chocolate. I do get cravings now and then for a big chewy brownie or one of these Paleo Double Chocolate Cranberry Cookies.
However, if I had a choice between those and a slice of my recipe for Carmel Apple Crumb Pie, a big bowl of berry swirled cheesecake ice cream, or a piece of this amazing Apple Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze, I would have to choose the later.
If you skip the salted caramel glaze on top of this cake, it’s essentially a snacking cake. Basically an excuse to eat a piece of it any time of day.
What is a Snacking Cake?
A snacking cake is similar to a sheet cake, but smaller. They are typically made in an 8×8 baking pan. While sheet cakes are often made to feed a crowd and can be served for special occasions, snacking cakes can be made and served any day. Snacking cakes are great if you’re new to baking. They are easy to make, no fancy equipment required, use minimal ingredients and honestly, they’re hard to mess up.
Snacking cakes can be served with or without frosting, or in this case salted caramel glaze. If you decide to skip the glaze I see no reason why you couldn’t have a piece for breakfast along with your coffee.
What Kind of Apple is Best for Baking?
- Choose varieties of apples that have firm texture and will keep their structure when baked. This isn’t the time to use Galas or Red Delicious. Those are better for salads and eating raw.
- Granny Smith apples tend to be what most people use for baking, but there are many other options available. Golden Delicious, Honeycrisp, Jonagold and Pink Lady all work well for baking. They’re crisp, sweet and some have a little tartness as well.
I mentioned you could skip the salted caramel glaze, however, I think you’ll be missing out on the full flavor if you do. The salted caramel glaze on top of this cake is what makes it extra special. You get a sweet and salty bite with every forkful…I had many forkfuls. You can buy store bought caramel sauce or you can make your own. If you choose to make your own, I recommend this salted caramel sauce recipe.
The apple cake can be served in the baking pan or you can remove it like I’ve done. If you plan to remove it be sure your pan is greased well or line it with parchment paper. Also allow the cake to cool for at least 20-30 minutes before trying to remove it from the pan.
Serve this Apple Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze on it’s own or go all out and have it with vanilla ice cream. It will quickly become a fall baking favorite as well as a delicious and easy option to serve for Thanksgiving dessert!
More Fall Cakes
Apple Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze
A moist, delicious cake filled with apples and topped with salted caramel glaze!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil, melted coconut oil can also be used
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple
- 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce
- Sea salt for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a second bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and stir together until just combined. Stir in the diced apple.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing it. Cool for about 30 minutes total before pouring on the salted caramel sauce and sprinkling with sea salt.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
love these fall flavors in a “snacking” cake, thank you!