Warm toasted bread with honey mustard spread, topped with chicken, melted cheddar cheese, crisp bacon and sweet sautéed apples. These hearty Cheddar, Bacon, Chicken, Apple Sandwiches with Honey Mustard Spread will easily become your new favorite comfort food sandwich!
After spending a good part of last week not feeling well I’m looking forward to this new week. Most of last week was spent with stomach issues, no appetite and low energy. Nothing is more frustrating then your brain telling you it’s hungry and your stomach telling you “no thanks”. Of course the lack of food made running a disaster. I was running an average 15-30 seconds slower than usual and pretty much enjoyed nothing about the runs except being finished. Luckily everything was back to normal by Thursday and I was able to enjoy the last weekend of summer.
I still can’t believe fall starts this week and we’re already three weeks into September. I’ve been embracing fall half-heartedly the last couple weeks. I’m not loving starting my runs in the dark, but I do love watching the sunrise when I’m out there. I hate seeing the green leave the trees, but the yellows, reds and oranges are stunning. I’m sad that peaches, berries and all the summer produce will soon be gone, but I’m excited to start creating recipes with all the winter squash, apples and pears. As you can see I’m torn between these two seasons, my two favorite seasons.
To ease my way into fall, I’m making transitional recipes like these Cheddar, Bacon, Chicken, Apple Sandwiches with Honey Mustard Spread. For the most part this is a year-round cheesy, bacony, darn good sandwich! However, to give it that hint of fall I decided to sauté some gorgeous honeycrisp apples I saw at the store. The apples add a nice sweetness to the sandwich and are a match made in heaven with cheddar cheese and salty bacon. Every sandwich needs some sort of spread on it, in my opinion. While lots of people just slap on some mayo, I want something with more flavor on mine. Sabra just came out with a line of spreads and I couldn’t have been more thrilled to try them and use the Honey Mustard flavor on these Cheddar, Bacon, Chicken, Apple Sandwiches!
This is the first line of refrigerated sandwich spreads from Sabra and will be available in the deli section at the store. They come in three flavors, Honey Mustard, Garlic Herb and Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper. I’ve been using all of them over the past few weeks and love the added flavor they give to sandwiches. Staying true to what Sabra is known for, these spreads are all made with hummus. They contain 75% less fat than mayo and all three varieties are vegan, kosher, gluten-free, and non-dairy. The Honey Mustard flavor was the perfect pairing with the salty bacon and sweet apples on this sandwich. Since it’s a better for you spread, feel free to slather it on, I know I did. Enjoy!
Thanks to the awesome folks at Sabra for sponsoring this post! As always all opinions are my own.
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast sliced in half lengthwise, season with kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1/2 of a Honeycrisp apple or variety of choice, sliced thin
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Sabra Honey Mustard Spread
- 4 slices crusty whole wheat bread, gluten-free if needed
- Heat a medium sized non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon and place it on a plate.
- Pour out the bacon grease, but don't wipe it clean.
- Add in the sliced apples and sprinkle with a little kosher salt, black pepper and the fresh thyme leaves.
- Sauté for approximately 2-4 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Remove the apples from the skillet and place them onto the plate with the bacon.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray if necessary and add in the chicken cutlets.
- Cook the chicken for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
- During the last minute of cooking add the cheddar cheese to the top of the chicken and cover the skillet with a lid or piece of foil until the cheese is melted.
- Spread the Honey Mustard Spread on all 4 slices of toasted bread.
- Place the cooked chicken on 2 slices of the bread and top with the bacon and apples.
- Top with the remaining slices of bread and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 1037mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 35g