Classic baked beans get a delicious Italian twist! Cheesy Italian Baked Beans is a hearty and comforting vegetarian meal that’s easy and affordable to make.
It’s the first Monday in a couple weeks that we actually have to work. Who’s not excited about this? Me! Luckily, it’s a short work week for me because I’m headed down to Arizona tomorrow to visit my parents for a few days. The weather will basically feel like summer to me and I’m looking forward to wearing shorts and hopefully getting a little color on my pasty legs.
Since I won’t be home to make dinner the next few nights and I know my husband will take advantage and eat out every night, I decided to make this easy Cheesy Skillet Italian Baked Beans for dinner. This simple dish will be on the table in 30 minutes and you may already have most or all of the ingredients to make it. Another bonus is that the leftovers freeze great, which is what I’ll be doing with mine.
As I’m sure you already know by now, skillet dinners are my favorite. I love when I can cook all the ingredients in the same pan and not have to deal with a sink full of dishes to clean. When making skillet dinners like this Cheesy Skillet Italian Baked Beans I love to use my cast iron skillet. Cast iron is naturally non-stick once it’s seasoned, it heats evenly and can go from your stovetop straight to the oven and it’s easy to clean. An added bonus is that as far as pots and pans go, it’s extremely affordable for something that can essentially last you a lifetime.
So what makes these baked beans Italian? Ingredients like shallots, crushed tomatoes, garlic, lots of fresh rosemary and a little white wine. Like the name suggests there’s plenty of cheese too. A combination of parmesan and fontina cheeses top the skillet dinner and are baked in the oven until their gooey, melted and golden brown. It’s absolutely one of the most easy and comforting meals I’ve made lately. Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots or yellow onion
- 2 cloves grated garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans low sodium cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a 10-12 inch skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add in the shallots. Sauté 2 minutes then add in the grated garlic and sauté another minute. Pour in the white wine and stir everything together letting the alcohol cook off, about a minute.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, basil and season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir together until combined and taste for seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil and let it cook for 3-5 minute or until it thickens slightly.
- Stir in the beans and shredded Parmesan cheese then top with the Fontina cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese starts to brown. Sprinkle with additional rosemary and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 343Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 16mgFiber: 12gSugar: 9gProtein: 20g
More Easy Vegetarian Skillet Dinners