Moroccan Baked Eggs with Chickpeas is a simple, flavorful, vegetarian dish that can be on the table in less than 30 minutes! This versatile meal is hearty enough for breakfast or dinner.
Eggs are one of the most convenient and versatile foods. I love that when you have no idea what to make for dinner, eggs are always there to save you. They are delicious for breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be prepared in countless ways. Today’s recipe for Moroccan Baked Eggs with Chickpeas is one that can be eaten for any meal and it’s all made in one skillet.
If you haven’t been introduced to Moroccan flavors, these baked eggs are the perfect way to start or I also highly recommend the Moroccan Turkey and Chickpea Skillet I made a few weeks ago. Moroccan flavors are a combination sweet, savory and a little spicy. It’s truly a layering of flavors that all come together in the most wonderful way.
Spices that are often used in Moroccan food are cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, ginger, sweet paprika and spicy red peppers. Proteins such as lamb or chicken are often cooked in these spices and then a sweet component such as raisins, prunes, apples, dates or honey are added to the mix. Many recipes are cooked in a stew like manner so that everything simmers together in the same pot creating that wonderful layering of flavors.
These Moroccan Baked Eggs with Chickpeas are an easy way to get all of those sweet, savory and spicy flavors together in a short amount of time. The first step is to heat a large skillet with a little olive oil. Once the skillet is hot the onions and red bell peppers are sautéed until they soften. The garlic and spices are then added in and cooked for another minute or so. There are quite a few spices in this dish, but they all come together to help create those layers of flavor.
The final steps are to add in a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of chickpeas, harissa and some fresh cilantro and lemon zest. Everything is stirred together and simmers until the sauce thickens slightly. Eggs are cracked over the top of the sauce and then the whole skillet is placed in the oven to bake until the egg whites are set.
The Moroccan Baked Eggs with Chickpeas are best served immediately with warm pieces of naan or a crusty piece of bread. It’s perfect for a hearty vegetarian breakfast or dinner and one that can be thrown together in less than 30 minutes!
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 5 eggs
- Naan or crusty bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add in a couple teaspoons of olive oil and swirl around the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the onion, red bell pepper and jalapeño and sauté until they soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, spices, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and sauté for another minute.
- Stir in the harissa, crushed tomatoes, lemon zest and chickpeas until everything is combined.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly and everything is heated through. Stir in the cilantro.
- Crack the eggs into the skillet over the sauce and season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake until the eggs are just set, 7-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with warm naan or crusty bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 160mgFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 15g