Chicken pot pie meets pizza in this over the top comfort food mash-up! I bet you can’t stop after one slice!
How many times have you made or ordered a pizza with the best intentions of only eating one piece only to find yourself three slices deep 10 minutes later. Yeah, that’s basically what happened when I made this Chicken Pot Pie Pizza.
I knew it was going to be a struggle to limit myself to one slice of this comfort food gone crazy pizza, but I felt strong going into it. I filled half my plate with salad and ate that first thinking it would help fill me up so I wouldn’t gorge on the pizza. But then I took my first bite of delicious hybrid pizza and I knew I was in trouble.
It had everything I love about chicken pot pie in it. The creamy sauce, the peas, carrots, and corn, the chunks of chicken, did I mention the creamy sauce? Then as if the flavors of the pot pie weren’t enough I went ahead and piled it all on pizza dough and topped it with not one, but two kinds of cheese! Did you even know that gooey mozzarella and salty parmesan cheese make chicken pot pie 10 times more amazing? Well you do now!
After I finished my first slice of heaven, because basically that’s what this pizza is, I told myself I could have just one more slice. I ran hard that morning, so dammit I deserved it! The second slice was more or less inhaled rather than eaten slowly and savored with a fork.
I stared intently at the remaining pizza realizing it was almost gone because my husband was already a slice ahead of me and appeared to not be stopping anytime soon. I glared at him refusing to let him get the rest of this glorious pizza. Now it was a competition and I don’t back down lightly. I snatched that third piece of pizza and ate it with gusto! Sure I could hardly breathe because I was so full and yes I did go lay on the floor in a food coma, but trust me when I say that this chicken pot pie pizza is worth it.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low fat milk, or milk of choice
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Flat leaf parsley and fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat melt the butter.
- When the butter is melted add in the diced onion and carrot, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Sautè the onion and carrot for about 3 minutes until they have softened.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir together until combined then let it cook for another minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth and milk whisking the entire time.
- Continue to whisk the sauce for another 3-4 minutes or until it becomes thick.
- Once the sauce has thickened add in the frozen corn, peas, and diced chicken and cook for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a prepared pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Pour the chicken pot pie mixture onto the pizza dough and spread it into an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top of the pizza with the shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with chopped fresh thyme and flat leaf parsley if desired.
- Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes before slicing it.
Let the pizza cool for 5 minutes before cutting it to prevent all the sauce and cheese from sliding off when you cut it.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 291Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 687mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 19g