A fun twist on traditional chicken pot pie is to turn it into a bowl of comforting soup! The biscuit crumbles are an easy and tasty topping that gives you a piece of “crust” in every bite!
Well it finally happened, we got our first snow on Wednesday. It was funny because Tuesday afternoon I went out for a quick run to soak in some sun and was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Early Wednesday morning around 1:00 AM I woke up to the sound of snow hitting the bedroom window. When I got up to go running around 5:00 the ground and trees were completely covered in a fresh blanket of white powdery snow. I opted to do my run inside on the treadmill that morning since the snow was still blowing pretty heavy. Somehow the boredom of a treadmill run sounded better than running outside in 30 degrees and blowing, wet, cold snow.
Thankfully, later that morning the sun returned and by the afternoon most of the snow had melted. I know this is just the beginning and I’m thankful that it was a light snow to ease me into the cold weather. Last year we weren’t so lucky and it was about this same time that we got a bitter cold arctic blast that came through and gave us record breaking cold temperatures, 0 degrees, with a wind chill that made it feel like -19. So so glad that didn’t happen again on Wednesday!
Looking at the weather predicted for the next couple weeks, there isn’t too much snow in the forecast, but our night temperatures are dropping into the 20’s and that means it’s the perfect weather for a big bowl of hot steaming soup. Not just any bowl of soup either, Chicken Pot Pie Soup with Biscuit Crumbles to be exact!
I’ve said it before, chicken pot pie is probably one of my favorite if not my favorite comfort food. I love the traditional recipe, but I love shaking things up and putting a twist on it. Today’s twist was all about taking the “pie” and turning it into a creamy delicious soup. Many of the familiar ingredients such as peas, carrots, chicken, celery, and onion are all found in the soup. I kept the recipe on the lighter side by using a combination of low sodium chicken broth and low fat milk rather than whole milk or cream. Now don’t think I forgot about the best part, the biscuits or crust depending on how you make yours. I went with a whole wheat buttermilk biscuit recipe which I broke into bite sized crumbles before baking. They are the perfect size for adding to the top of the soup! As the temperatures continue to drop, cozy up with a bowl of this comfort soup, a dinner everyone is sure to love!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup + 1-2 tablespoons low fat buttermilk, cold
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- Flat leaf parsley for topping the soup
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add the cold cubes of butter to the dry mixture and work them in with your hand or a pastry blender until they are pea sized crumbles.
- Add in the buttermilk and work together with your hand or a rubber spatula just until combined.
- If the dough is too dry add in another 1-2 tablespoons of buttermilk.
- Break the dough into bite sized pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the crumbles for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Melt the butter and heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Once melted add in the carrots, celery, onion and garlic.
- Stir together then add in the salt, pepper and poultry seasoning stirring to coat in the spices.
- Cook the vegetables for about 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Add in the flour and stir everything together letting it cook for about a minute.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth stirring the entire time.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer the soup partially covered with the lid for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes stir in the chicken, frozen peas, milk and cream.
- Let the soup heat up again, but don't boil as this may curdle the milk.
- Serve the soup topped with the biscuit crumbles and chopped flat leaf parsley.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 65mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g