Whole wheat and vegan friendly muffins loaded with apples, carrots, cranberries and pecans are the perfect way to start the morning! These Cranberry Apple Carrot Muffins are hearty, moist and won’t leave you hungry or with a sugar buzz.
We had a little taste of fall this past weekend and while I enjoyed the cooler temperatures during the day, I’m not sure I’m ready for them in the mornings. It’s consistently been around 60 degrees the past few weeks when I go out to run, which it pretty much perfect. Saturday it was 50 when I got ready to leave the house and I was debating if I could still just wear my tank top and shorts or if I needed some sleeves.
I went with the tank top and about half a mile into my run was wishing I had gone with sleeves. It wasn’t bad, but the wind was making it feel colder than 50 degrees. Luckily, I tortured myself with a super hilly run so I warmed up pretty quickly.
Normally when I’ve been getting back from my runs I crave anything and everything cold to drink or eat, but all I wanted Saturday was my coffee and something freshly baked from the oven. I decided to make these Cranberry Apple Carrot Muffins and even though it wasn’t exactly breakfast time when they came out of the oven, they still tasted pretty darn good!
They’re delicious any time of year, but they also have a little bit of fall flavor going on in them. Since we’re just a couple days away from the start of fall and the grocery stores are filled with so many varieties of apples right now, I figured it was a good time to share the recipe.
Her recipe calls for raisins, but I decided to switch it up and use cranberries. I love apples and cranberries together, a little sweet and a little tart. This is a hearty whole wheat muffin muffin that’s lightly sweetened with maple syrup and won’t leave you with a major sugar buzz the way some can.
The muffins are loaded with warm spices such as cinnamon, ginger and cloves and will make your house smell amazing. Along with being a hearty and healthy muffin, they’re also vegan friendly. Add these Cranberry Apple Carrot Muffins to your fall breakfast routine!
Cranberry Apple Carrot Muffins
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of water, let sit 5 minutes)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup grated apple, squeeze out excess liquid
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients, then stir in the shredded apple and carrot.
- Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and stir together just until combined.
- Stir in the dried cranberries and pecans.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan. I was able to get 10 muffins out of the batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for several minutes before removing.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 110kcal Calories from fat 7|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
More Muffins for Fall