Coconut Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins are wonderful for a weekend breakfast or brunch! These tender banana muffins studded with just the right amount of toasted coconut and dark chocolate chunks will go perfect with your cup of coffee.
These Coconut Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins are just what you need to bake for breakfast this weekend! I actually used my favorite banana bread recipe, with a few alterations and turned it into these glorious, tender muffins.
In case you were curious you can take any quick bread recipe and turn it into muffins and vice versa. The only changes that need to be made are the temperature of the oven and the amount of time they bake. Generally quick breads bake at 350° F. for about 45-60 minutes. Muffins bake at about 400° F. for approximately 15-25 minutes.
I’m always amazed how much faster things bake when you live in high altitude. When I made these Coconut Chocolate Chunk Banana Muffins they were done in 14 minutes. Another minute longer and they probably would have been too brown and a little dry. I often hesitate sharing baking recipes with you because of the altitude and how finicky it make baking.
Quick breads (including muffins) usually aren’t an issue, and neither are brownies or bars that are confined in a baking pan. Cookies however, are a pain in the butt! I can make one batch and have them turn out perfect and then the next time I bake them have them spread all over the pan. Cookies pressed into a baking dish and baked into bars are my jam.
Back to these breakfast beauties. Whenever you’re baking a banana muffin or banana bread, the most important thing is that your bananas be very ripe. We’re talking brown spots all over and on the verge of seeing their last day. This ensures that they are super sweet and have tons of banana flavor. When you bake with extra ripe bananas it gives whatever your baking extra natural sweetness meaning you can cut back on the added sugar.
To give the muffins a little something extra, I added toasted coconut and chunks of dark chocolate. The flavors pair great with banana and nobody can resist a muffin with a little melted puddle of dark chocolate on top. Enjoy!
More Muffin Recipes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 bananas, about 1 1/4 c.
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a standard muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. In a larger bowl mash the bananas. whisk the eggs, yogurt, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla in with the bananas.
- Pour the banana mixture in with the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Fold in the coconut and dark chocolate then divide the batter evenly into prepared muffin pan(s).
- Bake the muffins on the middle rack of the oven for 14-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the muffins a on wire rack for several minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g