Harissa is used as both a marinade and sauce in this amazing flavored Harissa Chicken Stir Fry! An easy and healthy weeknight dinner with just enough spice to wake up your tastebuds!
I hope you guys had a great weekend. Wasn’t it nice to have a normal non-holiday weekend again? As much fun as they are it’s nice to get back to a routine. I’ve been really excited to share this recipe for Harissa Chicken Stir Fry, because harissa is currently my new obsession!
I’m not sure if I’m late to the harissa game or maybe right on time. I’ve heard about it for a while now, but never bought it to cook with. That will no longer be the case. I bought a jar as an impulse buy while I was at Whole Foods and I already had to get another jar this past weekend.
If you’re unfamiliar with harissa, it’s a North African hot chile pepper paste. You can buy it as a dry spice blend, paste, or sauce like I purchased. The uses for it are endless. It makes a great dip, spread or marinade all of which I’ve already tested out, hence having to buy another jar.
If it’s the spice that has prevented you from buying it, I’m happy to report that not all varieties are blow your head off, lose your taste buds hot. The Mina brand that I bought comes in a mild and spicy version and I chose the mild. While I love spicy food, I also don’t like when it overtakes a dish and you can’t taste anything else.
I also like that this is a condiment that isn’t full of crap and weird ingredients. It was simply red bell peppers, red chile peppers, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, salt and citric acid.
The idea for this Harissa Chicken Stir Fry came after I decided to marinate some chicken breasts in it a couple weekends ago. Not only did it make the chicken tender, but added an amazing roasted red pepper with a little kick of heat to it.
Since my husband isn’t generally a fan of stir fry, he doesn’t like the sauce for some weird reason, I thought maybe he’d get behind this recipe since he liked the chicken I had marinated in it.
I added fresh green beans, shiitake mushrooms and a red bell pepper to the stir fry, but feel free to use your favorite vegetables. The chicken is marinated in the harissa for anywhere from 15 minutes up to overnight, the longer the better. More is then added after the chicken and vegetables have been cooked to make the sauce. It’s a fantastic, flavorful and healthy dinner that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner!
More Stir Fry Recipes
Chicken and Vegetable Quinoa Stir Fry
Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Harissa Chicken Stir Fry
Harissa is used as both a marinade and sauce in this amazing flavored Harissa Chicken Stir Fry! An easy and healthy weeknight dinner!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup mild or spicy harissa sauce, divided
- 1 cup fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into approximately 3 inch pieces
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper, sliced thin
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped raw cashews for topping the stir fry (optional)
- Brown rice or cauliflower rice for serving
- Place the sliced chicken in a bowl and season with a little salt and pepper. Add in 2 tablespoons of the harissa sauce and stir to coat the chicken. Cover and place the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, an hour is even better, to marinate.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Spray the skillet with cooking oil or add in a couple teaspoons of olive oil then add in the green beans, mushrooms and red bell pepper. Cook the vegetables until they soften slightly, but are still crisp, approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the skillet onto a plate and spray the skillet again with cooking oil. Add in the chicken and cook thoroughly, approximately 3-5 minutes depending on how thick your slices are. Return the vegetables to the skillet and add in another 2 tablespoons of harissa sauce. Stir to coat everything in the sauce. Top with the cashews and serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice.
Nutritional info. doesn't include rice.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g
Leave a Reply