Heirloom Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad is perfect for summer! Sweet heirloom tomatoes topped with homemade creamy blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles and chives.
Speaking of fun things to do, I love spending part of my Sunday morning checking out the local produce at our farmers market. It’s still a little early in the season for all the local tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, melons, and peaches to arrive, but I still find plenty of goodies to snack on while I’m there!
On top of going to the farmers market I also like to spend some time working on my vegetable garden on Sundays. I got a little bit of a late start on it this year because of our unusually cold, wet, and even snowy weather in May. However, a couple weeks ago while my mom was in town she helped me get everything planted.
This year I’ll be enjoying tons of tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, and hopefully a couple jalapeños. In my pots on my deck I’m growing basil, oregano, cilantro, chives and thyme. I’m seeing a lot of salsa and tomato salads like this Heirloom Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad in my future.
This heirloom tomato and blue cheese salad is the perfect simple salad to serve this summer. The star of the salad is all of the gorgeous tomatoes. I chose to use mini heirlooms because I love all their colors, however regular cherry or grape tomatoes will be just as good.
I paired the sweet juicy tomatoes with a creamy and chunky homemade blue cheese dressing. I love the tang of the blue cheese with the sweetness of the tomatoes. Finish the salad off with some chives, a few more crumbles of blue cheese, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Simple, fresh, and delicious, is exactly how I like my food in the summer time!
Heirloom Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad
- 5 cups mini heirloom tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons low fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper to taste. Let the tomatoes sit for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl or jar and whisk together.
- Pour the tomatoes onto a serving platter or bowl and top with some of the dressing, the chives, and 2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese. Serve immediately.
If you can't find miniature heirloom tomatoes, regular sized ones or cherry tomatoes will work.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 443mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 13g
More Summer Salads