Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Feta is an easy to make, refreshing salad to make this summer! Salty, sweet and perfect alongside your favorite grilled protein!
A couple weeks ago I decided it was about time I bought a watermelon. I feel a little behind because it was my first one of the season. I’m always hesitant when I buy one because they’re so big and it’s just my husband and I here to eat it. Not to mention, if it’s not good I feel wasteful having to trash it.
Luckily, the one I picked out when I made this Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Feta was perfect! Not only was it sweet and had great texture, but it was a seedless mini watermelon too. No waste!
This salad is super refreshing and a perfect salad to serve this summer. It’s salty, sweet, zippy and herbaceous in flavor and I couldn’t be more in love. If you’ve never tried watermelon and feta together I highly recommend it, especially if you’re a fan of salty sweet food combinations. Check out this Grilled Watermelon, Feta and Basil Salad for another salad pairing those two ingredients.
If you find yourself a little stressed out like I am when it comes to picking out a watermelon, here are some tips to help.
How to Pick Out a Watermelon
- Pick it up. A watermelon should feel heavier than it looks no matter what the size.
- Look for a field spot. This spot is lighter and yellowish color. It’s the spot where the watermelon was resting on the ground and indicates that it spent more time on the vine getting sweet. If there’s no spot or if the spot is white, the watermelon was probably picked too early and is underripe.
- Tap or knock on the watermelon. The surface should be hard and your knuckles should bounce back after giving it a knock.
- Pick out a watermelon that has a dull appearance versus a shiny one. Shiny indicates that it’s underripe.
Making this watermelon salad couldn’t be easier. The most time consuming part is cutting the watermelon. Check out this visual guide on How to Cut a Watermelon for an easy method that work well for cutting it into cubes which is what you’ll do for this salad.
Once the watermelon is cut up, put it into a serving bowl with the sliced cucumber, cubes of feta, chopped mint and basil. Squeeze in the juice of a lime, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss everything together and that’s all there is to it! Simple, refreshing and it goes great with any grilled protein.
What Should I Serve with the Salad?
More Summer Salads
- 1 mini watermelon (approximately 4 cups), rind removed and cubed
- 2 Persian cucumbers (approximately 1 cup), sliced
- 3 ounces feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 lime, juiced
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Olive oil to taste
- In a large serving bowl add the watermelon, cucumber, feta, basil and mint. Squeeze the lime over the salad, drizzle with olive oil and season with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Stir to combine. Taste for seasoning and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g