This sweet and salty Honey Almond Caramel Corn is made healthier by using honey instead of corn syrup and it’s full of protein thanks to almond butter and honey roasted almonds!
With 2015 coming to a close I couldn’t resist sharing one more sweet, but still lighter when it comes to most desserts recipe. When January hits expect all things healthy. I don’t know about you, but I definitely need some detoxing from all the treats I’ve eaten over the last few weeks. Before we do the clean sweep though I had to share this recipe for Honey Almond Caramel Corn. It’s the perfect snack/dessert to munch on while you’re waiting for the clock to strike twelve and 2015 to come to an end.
I can’t quite decide if I should classify this caramel corn as a snack or a dessert. On one hand it is sweetened with honey and coconut sugar, but on the other hand it’s whole grain thanks to the popcorn and full of protein thanks to the almond butter and Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds. I’ll let you decide if you want to treat it as a dessert or snack, either way it’s addicting.
Unlike most caramel corn this one uses honey instead of corn syrup to sweeten it. I love the floral sweet note that the honey give the caramel corn! I also added almond butter to it because it allowed me to eliminate using a ton of butter, plus the added protein can only help turn this into more of a snack than dessert. On top of almond butter for protein, you’ll also find the crunchy Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds. I almost didn’t have enough of them left because I ate so many before making the caramel corn.
The almonds are a little sweet and a little salty which is a combination I find highly addicting. Adding them into the caramel corn for some extra crunch was a perfect pairing. This honey almond caramel corn is one of those snacks that if you set out a bowl of it at a party people will gather around the bowl and talk because they can’t stop reaching in for just one more handful, we’ve all been there right? Let’s finish off 2015 on a sweet note and enjoy an extra handful of this snack/dessert caramel corn! See you next year!
Honey Almond Caramel Corn
- 8 cups popped popcorn (no salt or butter)
- 1/3 cup chopped Blue Diamond Honey Roasted Almonds
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling on after it comes out of the oven.
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the popped popcorn in a large bowl, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat whisk together the almond butter, coconut oil, honey, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then whisk in the baking soda and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the caramel sauce and chopped almonds over the popcorn and toss together with a rubber spatula until the sauce coats all of the popcorn.
- Spread the caramel corn out onto the prepared baking sheet and place it on the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes then remove it from the oven and toss around so that it evenly browns.
- Place it back in the oven to bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
Watch the caramel corn carefully as honey tends to burn easily.
The caramel corn will seem sticky when it comes out of the oven, but will become harder as it cools.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 284mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds. As always all opinions are my own.
Hi, I just made this and it is BY FAR the BEST relatively healthy caramel corn I’ve tried!! Best tasting and easy to make. Watch when you’re heating up the honey/ almond butter mixture – I took my eyes off it for a second and it scorched the bottom of the pan. I used slivered almonds. I’ve tried 5 or 6 other versions of this, some peanut butter, some almond, and as I said, this is THE BEST!! Will definitely make again. Thank you!!
I’m so glad you liked the caramel corn Rose and thank you for such a sweet comment!
You’re welcome, Danae – thank YOU again. So. Ok. I made this on Friday, per my comment (hubby loves it, too) and am about to make another batch now to try with peanut butter vs. almond butter…I think I have a delicious problem in the making…lol!
Nutmeg Nanny says
I want to sit around all day today and just eat a giant bowl of this. hello snack happiness!
That pretty much sounds like the perfect day! Thanks Brandy and Happy New Year!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
This is my kind of caramel corn! Love that you used honey instead of corn syrup!
Thanks Jessica! Honey is always a better option!
Jenny | Honey and Birch says
Caramel corn is one my favorite snacks!! I love the honey almond addition!
I’ll mail you a tin if you’ll fill it up and mail it back to me! Haha :)
You’ve got it Beth! :-)
I am looking forward to cleaning things up a bit too, but this looks amazing! Maybe I’ll make it for our movie marathon on Friday and then start fresh on Saturday!
Sounds like a good plan to me Carlee!