As much as I love spring there is one downside to it, the weekends seem to go by a lot faster. I think it’s the warm weather and wanting to spend as much time outside as possible to make up for the last 4 months of being trapped inside. Spending the weekends hiking, biking, gardening, and doing other outdoor chores makes time fly by unlike those cold snowy days spent wrapped up in blankets on the couch. As much as I dislike the weekends feeling shorter, I wouldn’t trade my time spent outside for anything! To lessen the blow of another Monday that got here way too quickly, I made us the Mini Lemon Cream Pies!
I absolutely love my fruit pies, but when spring and summer roll around I’m all about cold creamy desserts. I can honestly say I haven’t met a cream pie I didn’t like. Well, that’s not true, some of those grocery store ones can be pretty gross. Sometimes I feel like that “whipped cream” they put on top is some type of food grade edible wax. Why does it leave the most disgusting film on the top of my mouth?!
I of course love coconut cream pie, chocolate cream, berries and cream, banana cream, but there is a very special place in my heart and stomach for all things lemon and especially lemon cream pie. Cream pies aren’t something I make very often because I lack any sort of self control around them. However for special occasions like birthdays and holidays they are the perfect dreamy, creamy pie to have at the table.
With Easter this Sunday I thought that not only would a lemon dessert be appropriate, but that these mini lemon cream pies would be the perfect little bite to finish off brunch or dinner. With the huge amount of food that is served on holidays, I feel like mini desserts are the way to go. Us normal folks like to finish off our meals with a little something sweet, but that doesn’t mean a huge slice of pie. That’s where mini desserts come in to play. They are just big enough to cure that sweet tooth craving and small enough to where we don’t feel like we are going to explode. Not to mention, since they are tiny we can take two and not feel bad about having seconds for dessert!
More Lemon Desserts
Mini Lemon Cream Pies
- 15 mini phyllo shells
- 6 ounces plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer beat the Greek yogurt, cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla together until they are totally combined and smooth. Evenly spoon or pipe the lemon cream filling into each of the mini phyllo cups.
- Clean out the bowl that the lemon cream filling was made in and add in all of the whipped cream ingredients. Using the whisk attachment, beat the whipped cream on high until stiff peaks form.
- Use a piping bag and a star tip to pipe the whipped cream on top of each mini lemon cream pie. Serve immediately.
The pies are best assembled right before serving to prevent the phyllo cups from becoming soft.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 2g