I couldn’t let the holidays pass by without sharing at least one recipe filled with peppermint goodness! Today I’m sharing an absolutely addicting little treat for Peppermint Brownie Bites!
This past weekend my husband and I took an early Christmas trip back to Arizona to visit our families. While the visit was only for a few days it was full of food (mostly Christmas cookies) and fun! It’s been a year and a half since I’ve been back to Arizona, it’s so hard to believe it’s been that long. The funny part was that as we were driving around I said to my husband that even though it’s been so long in some ways it felt like we just left. We drove by our old house, which luckily was still looking nice. We also drove by ASU where we both went to college. There were so many new buildings going up, I guess things really change when it’s been 8 years since we graduated.
Along with driving around town checking out all of the places we used to go, we also went to my husband’s holiday work party which was a blast! It was complete with delicious appetizers, an open bar, and a magician that left me so confused I’m still trying to figure things out! My sister was also in town so I had a running partner for a couple days, which is always nice. My mom, sister, and I went out for coffee every morning to our favorite coffee shop next to my parent’s home. Those coffee dates were the best part about my visit and what I miss the most about living close to family.
We also spent time with my husband’s family. It was great to see them and especially fun to see my niece and nephew, it’s hard to believe how big they are getting! Even though the trip was short we were still able to spend time with our families and have an early Christmas with them. In a way it was kind of nice having an early Christmas, because that means we get to have two of them!
Now that I’m back home I’m finishing up the last of the shopping and baking and loving everything about this week! One of the last treats on my list of things to bake were these Peppermint Brownie Bites. I am totally in love with them! Not only are they the perfect sweet combination of chocolate and peppermint, but they are also figure friendly as far as brownies are concerned. While I can’t classify them as health food they do contain far less fat compared to the average brownie. I replaced all of the butter in the brownie with Greek yogurt and guess what? They still turned out perfectly fudgy and delicious! I topped the little brownie bites with the most amazing peppermint cream cheese frosting that paired perfectly with the chocolate brownie. These peppermint brownie bites are a great dessert to have on Christmas table this year or make a batch to share with friends and neighbors!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 6 ounces plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk together until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the mini muffin tin, filling the cups almost to the top.
- Bake the brownie bites for 10-12 minutes, just until set.
- Remove the brownie bites from the oven and use the back of a teaspoon sprayed with cooking spray to make an indention in the top of the brownie.
- Remove the brownie bites from the muffin tin and cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer whisk the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the crushed peppermints and whisk together for another 30 seconds.
- Spoon or pipe the frosting evenly on top of each brownie bite.
Be careful not to over bake the brownie bites or they will be dry.
Store the finished brownie bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator.