This Pesto Chicken Tomato and Corn Skillet dinner is all made in one pan and can be on the table in 30 minutes! Full of Italian flavors, fresh vegetables, chicken, and melted fresh mozzarella to top it all off.
I love a good one pan dinner that I can throw together in 30 minutes and even better when I can use seasonal produce in it. This Pesto Chicken Tomato and Corn Skillet dinner checks all of those boxes and is one of my favorite dinners to make right now.
Ingredients For Pesto Chicken Tomato And Corn Skillet
Chicken – chicken breasts or thighs can be used for this recipe.
Cherry Tomatoes – The tomatoes add a hint of sweetness to the dish. No need to cut them, just add them in whole.
Corn – If fresh corn is in season I highly recommend using that. Just cut it off the cob, no need to boil it first. Frozen corn can also be used if fresh isn’t in season.
Shallot – Shallots have a more delicate and sweet flavor, which is why I like to use them in this recipe. Onions have a sharper flavor and more intense heat.
Garlic – Even though there’s garlic in the pesto, adding a clove or two of fresh grated garlic really gives the flavor a boost.
Pesto – Basil pesto adds acts as the sauce for this skillet dinner. I love to use DeLallo basil pesto.
Mini Fresh Mozzarella Balls – I love using fresh mozzarella and personally think the flavor is better than block mozzarella. The mini balls are just the right size to toss in without having to mess with grating the cheese.
Basil – Basil is a great way to add freshness and reinforce the basil flavor in the pesto.
How To Make It
This is such a simple recipe to make. Start by seasoning the cubed chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a little olive oil in the skillet and then add in the chicken.
Spread it into a single layer and then leave it alone for about 4-5 minutes. This will allow the chicken to sear and get a nice golden brown crust on it. Toss the chicken around until it’s cooked through and then transfer it onto a plate.
Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and toss in the shallot, corn, and tomatoes. Sauté the veggies for about 4 minutes and then add in the garlic. Cook for another minute or two and then add the chicken back into the skillet.
Add in the pesto and stir everything together until it’s coated. Scatter the mini mozzarella balls all over the top and then cover the skillet with a lid. If your skillet doesn’t have a lid you can loosely cover it with a piece of foil.
Cook on low heat for 2-3 more minutes or until the mozzarella is melted. Finish the chicken skillet by sprinkling on fresh chopped basil.
- Mini mozzarella balls can be substituted with grated fresh mozzarella or block mozzarella cheese. Burrata would also be a great alternative.
- Switch up the vegetables. Zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, cauliflower or broccoli would all work.
- Swap basil pesto for sun dried tomato pesto.
- Ground chicken or ground turkey can be substituted for the chicken breasts.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating
Once the pesto chicken tomato and corn skillet has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You can also freeze this recipe. Simply cool it completely and transfer to a freezer safe container or freezer bag. If you plan to freeze the meal, don’t add the mozzarella balls to it.
Fresh mozzarella has a higher water content than block mozzarella and may form ice crystals in the freezer.
To reheat the frozen pesto chicken, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight. Add it to a skillet and cook it on medium-low until warmed through. Add the mini mozzarella balls to it and cover with a lid for a couple minutes until they’ve melted.
What To Serve With The Chicken Skillet
- This is an excellent recipe to serve on top of pasta. Penne or fusilli are good options for short pasta and linguine or spaghetti work well if you want long pasta.
- Serve on top of or with a side of mashed potatoes.
- French bread topped with pesto and warmed in the oven.
- Parmesan Pesto Roasted Cauliflower
- Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
More Recipes Using Pesto
Pesto Chicken Tomato and Corn Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup finely diced shallot
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic, 1-2 cloves depending on the size
- 2 ears of corn or 1 cup frozen defrosted corn
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/2 cup mini fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, swirl it to coat the bottom of the pan. Add in the chicken and spread it out into a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let the chicken cook untouched for about 4 minutes or until golden brown and seared on the bottom. Toss the chicken around and continue to cook until it's no longer pink inside. Remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate.
- Add a little more olive oil to the skillet and toss in the shallot, tomatoes, corn, salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes and then add in the garlic. Continue to sauté until the tomatoes soften slightly and their skin starts to break.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet along with the pesto. Stir everything together until it's coated in pesto. Scatter the mozzarella balls on top and cover the skillet with a lid. Turn the heat down to low and let everything warm through until the cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and garnish with chopped basil.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 245mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.
Leave a Reply