Healthy Prune Breakfast Cookies are packed full of sweet chewy diced prunes and are perfect for a grab and go breakfast or snack!
We’re 3 weeks into the new year, how is everyone’s diet or healthier eating habits going? My eating is finally getting back to where it should be and my pants are starting to reward me by giving me a little wiggle room. One of the hardest challenges for me is having plenty of healthy snacks on hand so that when hunger hits I reach for something wholesome and healthy rather than garbage. These Prune Breakfast Cookies are on the top of my list of favorite healthy snacks in the new year!
Let me guess, you saw the word prune and suddenly you were turned off or thought that a 95 year old woman was writing this. Well, up until recently I had the same feelings, that was until I tried Sunsweet® Amaz!n™ Diced Prunes. These perfectly diced sweet prunes are chewy and great for snacking or adding into baked goods, like these Prune Breakfast Cookies.
Let’s talk about the health benefits of prunes. Vitamin K, potassium, copper and boron, likely work together to make these dried plums (prunes) ideal for healthy bones. Prunes are full of potassium which is great for helping to prevent hypertension and strokes. Potassium is also great for regulating fluid balance which can help relieve bloating.
They’re high in fiber which helps keep us full longer and helps us avoid those sugary and fatty snacks. The most obvious health benefit and I’m sure the one we are all aware of, is that prunes help to keep us regular. Yup I said it, they keep things moving through our digestive tract. I’m sure we’ve all had the unpleasant experience of being “backed up”, not fun! Luckily prunes are here to save the day!
Enough of the TMI talk, let’s move on to the cookies. I always like when I can have a cookie for snacking or breakfast and it is perfectly healthy and acceptable! These Prune Breakfast cookies are packed with healthy ingredients and they taste incredible! The cookies are 100% whole wheat and refined sugar free. They are sweetened purely by maple syrup and the prunes. The fat in the cookies is also slimmed down thanks to unsweetened applesauce and Greek yogurt.
The cookies are slightly caky and chewy, sort of a cross in texture between a muffin and a cookie. They are the perfect size for a grab and go breakfast or an afternoon snack. Prune Breakfast Cookies are an easy way to keep those New Year’s resolutions to snack and eat healthy.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped prunes
- Preheat oven to 375° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, flax meal, dry milk powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer beat together the softened butter, maple syrup, applesauce, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Slowly add in the dry ingredients beating until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in the oats and diced prunes.
- Using a 2 inch cookie scoop, scoop out balls of the dough and place them about 2 inches apart from each other on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies on the middle rack of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until set and golden around the edges. Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container or freeze them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g